Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

tokyo new year 2008/12/2 15:05
Arriving tokyo late on jan 1.Second trip.Taking 3 kids 10 - 15.Have 4 full days in tokyo:Fri jan 2 to Mon Jan 5. Among other things would like to visit Disneyland (Obviously their choice) and Hakone.Originally thought fri at disney (but over the new year hols will the weekday make any difference?)and monday to Hakone? . Would love to go back to tsukiji markets but that reopens mon jan 5.
Any suggestions on how best to juggle these three outings with the transport busyness, closures and holidays.
Many thanks in advance .
Brendan
by Brendan guthrie  

... 2008/12/2 18:34
Disneyland, in particular will be packed to a degree, where you might actually not be able to enter the park due to capacity limits unless you go there early. Therefore, I recommend to go to Disneyland on January 5.

Hakone will also be very crowded during until January 4, resulting in traffic jams and packed buses and trains. But you can get around it somewhat by trying to avoid road bound means of transport, i.e. use trains, cablecars and ropeways instead of buses wherever possible. I would go on the 2nd, as I expect return traffic on the 3rd and 4th to be worse.

You could visit Tsukiji early on the 5th before going to Disneyland:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3021.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/12/2 22:33
Thanks Uji.
As always a thorough and well thought out reply.
I think I'll go with your advice.
Brendan
by brendan guthrie rate this post as useful

Tsukiji Market restrictions 2008/12/3 20:33
Brendan,

Note that the tuna auction at Tsukiji Market will be closed to tourists from mid-December until 17th January due to continuing problems of tourists touching fish and generally getting in the way of business.

Japanese news article here...
(will probably be reported in the English-language press too)
http://mainichi.jp/select/today/news/20081203k0000e040078000...
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/4 09:13
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/12/4 10:17
Thanks for that info guys
by brendan guthrie rate this post as useful

reply to this thread