Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Closures over new year and JR pass 2008/12/2 22:45
Hi all, my partner and i arrive in Tokyo 26th Dec and stay for 7 nights including day trips to Kamakura, Nikko and Hakone. We then travel to Takayama for 2 nights then to Kyoto for 3 nights with a day trip to Nara before flying out of Narita. Phew! my questions are:
1. do we defintely need the JR rail pass for all those trips? will it work out cheaper?
2. planning to do kamakura on the 31st dec- will everything be shut or will we be OK?
3. is there anything else major shut over this time that i should know about?

that's it i think. am just stuck on these few issues.

thanks in advance
x
by Starsky14  

Pass 2008/12/3 19:04
You should absolutely get a 7 day pass. It will save you $$
by RodW rate this post as useful

Tsukiji Market restrictions 2008/12/3 20:31
I don't know if it was among your plans, but note that the tuna auction at Tsukiji Market will be closed to tourists from mid-December until 17th January due to continuing problems of tourists touching fish and generally getting in the way of business.

Japanese news article here...
(will probably be reported in the English-language press too)
http://mainichi.jp/select/today/news/20081203k0000e040078000...
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

English 2008/12/3 23:25
by Ts rate this post as useful

? 2008/12/3 23:28
does that mean we can't go at all to the fish market? am confused...understand we can't go into the auction itself but can we go and soak up the atmosphere?
by starsky14 rate this post as useful

Tsukiji Market restrictions 2008/12/4 00:09
Starsky,

does that mean we can't go at all to the fish market?

No, I don't think it means that you can't go to the market at all, it just says that the popular early-morning tuna auction will be off-limits.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/4 11:25
Basics about travel during New Year:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2276.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread