Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Realistic 1 day in Kyoto ? 2008/12/3 05:31
Hi everybody,

I am planning a 1 day trip to Kyoto from Tokyo by the Nozemi train. Would it be possible to visit Kiyomizudera , Gion and the Fushimi Inari Shrine before having to leave? And if so, could anyone suggest the best way of doing it?

Many thanks for any replies
by Mark  

In a rush ? 2008/12/3 11:20
You didn't mention if you were going back to Tokyo again that day. First trains out of Tokyo will get you there at 0805/0811 and the last returns at 2134 from Kyoto. Not my idea of a day out but it gives you 13 hours in Kyoto. You can cover a lot of ground in 13 hours.
by RodW rate this post as useful

1 Day in Kyoto 2008/12/3 23:22
Yep , will be returning to Tokyo on the same day. I am thinking about getting to Kyoto for 10:00/10:30, and getting a train back around 7:30- 8ish. The 3 places I mentioned dont seem too far from the station? I am thinking from Kyoto station to go straight to Fushimi Inari Shrine, then to have a walk around Gion, then finish in the Kiyomizudera area before heading back? Does anyone think this is do-able or do I need to re-think?
All the best
Mark
by Mark rate this post as useful

Quite Doable 2008/12/4 01:48
It's eminently doable as long as you don't try to walk the full course at Fushimi Inari. When you get there, go along the main course (which essentially takes you on a counterclockwise circuit) and then turn around at some point when you've had enough. (Be sure to at least pass through the area where there is a double corridor of closely spaced torii, with some buildings on the other side.)

I have been to Fushimi Inari three times and never walked the entire route (I'd like to sometime) but I understand that it can take two or three hours and that it is possible to get lost, so this is something you probably want to dispense with on a one-day tour. You can experience the wonderful ambience in a visit as short as 30 minutes. (I'd allow roughly an hour, though.)

Your timing will probably put you in Gion at lunchtime, which is an excellent turn of events.

Another consideration is what time of year you are going. Unless it's during the late spring or summer when days are long, consider going to Kiyomizudera immediately after Fushimi Inari so you can be sure that your entire time there will be in daylight. It gets dark pretty early. Then go to Gion for a late afternoon stroll (and an early dinner!).
by Uma rate this post as useful

P.S. 2008/12/4 01:54
I recommend allowing time at the end to wander around Kyoto Station. The design and architecture are a highlight of Kyoto for many people (including myself) so it's a pity to just rush through. You can save it for an "if there's time" item, but it's worth lingering if you can.
by Uma rate this post as useful

lunchtime 2008/12/4 05:49
just a word on lunch: we had a wonderful temple meal at Kiyomizudera : huge bowl of very tasty ramen, tea and beer for 800Y..kept us going for ages...easy to find..tented area near carpark
by fmj rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/4 11:20
Just be aware of the time of sunset. In winter it gets dark as early as 4pm. Many temples close around 4-6pm:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=538
by Uji rate this post as useful

1 Day in Kyoto 2008/12/4 23:40
Really appreciate the help guys!

What would be the easiest way to get from Fushimi Inari to Kiyomizudera? And when i'm finished there is it easy enough to walk into Gion? and back to the station?

I really dont know how difficult it will be for a first timer to navigate around - so i'm trying to prepare the best I can!
by Mark rate this post as useful

. 2008/12/5 05:19
Easiest way is probably to take the Keihan train line from Fushimi Inari to Kiyomizu-Gojo Station, then walk up the hill from there. It's only four stops and trains are frequent.
by Nicholas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread