Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Autumn in Japan 2008/12/5 07:21
Hi, my partner and I are planning to go to Japan for 3 weeks (including gettng there and back from Oz) in October 09. (My second dream after seeing cherry blossom, which I've decided against, is seeing autumn colours!) Is the season as fleeting as the cherry blossom or does it last longer? is it really spectacular? (I may have some trouble getting the time off work and so want to know if it's worth fighting for or if we should just come another time of year!) Does anyone have any particularly good places to view the leaves? We don't have our itinerary settled yet. We would also be really grateful for any tips on deciding our itinerary - both like nature, history, old buildings, art, calligraphy, etc. and my partner is also really interested in the bustle of Tokyo, anime, manga, Japanese film-makers etc. Thanks alot for all your help.
by Amanda  

... 2008/12/5 08:53
Is the season as fleeting as the cherry blossom or does it last longer?

Autumn colors are slightly easier to catch than cherry blossoms, because of a longer season. But actually hitting the real peak of the autumn colors is similarly challenging than hitting full bloom of cherry blossoms. Furthermore, the autumn colors can be more or less spectacular each year depending on the weather during the previous months.

is it really spectacular?

Yes, it can be really spectacular if you hit the right spot in the right timing. And it is nice even if you don't quite hit the peak of the season.

Some of the best spots to see autumn leaves are introduced here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2014.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Autumn in Japan 2008/12/5 12:23
Thanks for that Uji. I've looked at the links on this website to the autumn colours, and it seems like October may actually be a bit early. I'm now thinking of arriving in mid November. Do you think that would increase our chances? Regarding the weather, do you know what kind of weather conditions the trees need to give the best show?
This is such a good website, and the forum is really helpful! Thanks!

by Amanda Christmas rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/5 13:50
I'm now thinking of arriving in mid November. Do you think that would increase our chances?

No, chances are equally high in October and November. You are guaranteed to see autumn leaves somwehere in Japan in either month. In October, you need to head north or into higher elevations, while in mid November you will find the leaves in lower elevations and central and southern Japan. Mid November tends to be a little bit early for Kyoto and Tokyo, though.

Regarding the weather, do you know what kind of weather conditions the trees need to give the best show?

Not too much heat during the summer. And then a cold nights and mild days during autumn.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread