Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Need your point of view.. 2008/12/5 12:08
Hi all… I need some help with my travelling Plan to Japan. We are planning to arrive at Japan (through Narita Airport) on the 23rd March 09. And be back home from Narita again on the 28th March 2009. We plan to visit Osaka and Kyoto beside Tokyo. Below is the itinerary:

23/3 – Arrived at Narita Airport. Head to Saitama (Friends house; to shed some luggage and bring most needed things to Osaka). Head for Osaka. Check-in reserved accommodation. Visit Osaka-jyo, Umeda, Namba area. At night, Dotombori. Spend one night there.

24/3 –Head for Kyoto early morning. Visit Kiyomizudera & check in accommodation. Visit Nijo Castle (Cancelled the plan to Kyoto Imperial Palace after reading many reviews in here.. Hehe..). Then to Kinkakuji. Lastly, Arashiyama for a walk through nature. Then, dinner. At night, go to Yasaka Shrine and head to Maruyama Park (They say it’s the most popular spot to enjoy Cherry Blossom in spring, isn’t it?).

25/3 - Next morning, Fushimi Inari before head back to Saitama. Relax a bit. For the rest of the days in Tokyo, we plan to go to Harajuku, Shinjuku, Akihabara, Odaiba, Yokohama, Shibuya & Oeno. (Hope that we can cover most of it while we’re there. Hehe..)

What I’ve been thinking is,

1. So, do you all think our plan above is possible?

2. Since we’ll be making a lot of travelling on train, we are thinking of taking 7 day Japan Rail Pass. I’ve calculated my train fare (by referring to the http://www.hyperdia.com/) and the total of fares are around 38, +++ Yen. And the Japan Rail Pass use is unlimited, right? As long as it’s in the 7 days consecutive use?

3. My friend suggests that we take the one day Bus Pass at Kyoto. But, since we’ll only be taking two trips on bus, I don’t think it is worth it. Am I right?

4. What about the weather and temperature in those places I mentioned?

Thank you in advance..
by Yann  

Bus Pass 2008/12/5 13:39
I would recommend the bus pass because of convenience. I think each trip is around 240yen so if you take 2 trips it is just under the 500yen cost of the bus pass, however when you use the buses in Japan you pay when you get off the bus. In my experiences inserting the bus pass in the machine on the way out the door is a lot easier than working out how much you have to pay while everyone waits for you!
That's my advice anyway. But if you have used Japanese buses before or speak Japanese it may be easier for you.
by AusEz rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/5 13:46
Depending on where your friend's house in Saitama is located, note that it will take between 3 and 5 hours from arrival at the airport until arrival at your friend's house. Afterwards, it takes 3.5 to 5 hours to travel from Saitama to Osaka. In other words: you will be arriving in Osaka about 7 to 10 hours after arrival at Narita Airport. Unless you arrive in Narita really early in the morning and your friend lives in an easily accessible place in Saitama, you will have no time for sightseeing in Osaka on that day. To the opposite: it might even be challenging to reach Osaka within the day.

They say it’s the most popular spot to enjoy Cherry Blossom in spring, isn’t it?

However, I am afraid that March 24 is too early for cherry blossoms, unless it is an exceptionally early blooming year.

I strongly recommend to add an additional day in Osaka/Kyoto, and possibly spend you first night in Tokyo or Saitama. Alternatively, you could consider taking a night bus from Tokyo to Osaka. It is cheaper than a 7-day Japan Rail Pass:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html

If you prefer travel by train, I recommend to use a 7-day Japan Rail Pass, though.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/5 14:07
To AusEz : Thank you. Really need to consider it now (after you explain it like that.. Hehe..)

To Uji : That means, it is better for us to stay in Tokyo/Saitama on the first day & try to visit places nearer. Travelling to Osaka need to be on the other day. So that we will be able to explore Osaka for one day. Hmmmm.. Really need to change our plan. Thanks a lot.

When is the perfect time though for us to enjoy the Cherry Blossom?
by Yann rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/5 17:54
When is the perfect time though for us to enjoy the Cherry Blossom?

It is difficult to predict and explained on the following page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011_when.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

bus travel 2008/12/5 18:27
Is very simple. Get in at the back, take a ticket with a number on it. Watch the box above the driver at the front, the number on your ticket will be there with the fare required for the next stop. Doesn't get much easier than that. If you need to change a note there is a note exchanger near the front. If you do not know how to use it just stand there looking stupid for about 10 seconds and somebody will jump up and do it for you. Drop your ticket with the exact amount in to the fare box and get off. Same deal on most trams except that some have a set fare to anywhere. If that's the case there will be no ticket dispenser at the back door.
by RodW rate this post as useful

It depends on the area 2008/12/5 20:26
On many buses in Tokyo you get in the front door and pay a fixed fare as you get on.
by Sira rate this post as useful

kyoto imperial palace 2008/12/5 20:35
we were REALLY lucky and saw AMAZING cherry blossoms by chance at the Kyoto Imperial Palace gardens on 29th March this year: we had visited the Raku Museum and walked back a different way to the subway by chance...wouldn't have missed it for the world
by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread