Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

April 10-13 Cherry Blossom ? 2008/12/13 16:20
Just returned from a trip to watch beautiful maples in Tokyo. Already planning to visit Japan again April 10-13 (Easter Holiday). Too late to view cherry blossom ? Any other interesting things to do around that time? Any advice would be deeply appreciated.
Brownie
by Brownie  

April 2008/12/15 09:52
I was in Osaka, Nara and Yoshino this April 9-12 and still saw beautiful cherry blossom. Yoshino has a Sakura Festival on April 11-12.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4150.html

On April 14-15, there is a Spring Festival in Takayama
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5909.html
by William rate this post as useful

Sakura in Takayama ? 2009/1/8 09:00
A question on Takayama matsuri:
I am not sure but I think I saw matsuri pictures with bare-branched trees.
Do you expect green leaves and cherry blossoms in the Takayama area around matsuri time? Or would it be nicer to visit the area respectively Takayama matsuri during another visit in October?
by Inga rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/8 09:47
It might be too late in Tokyo and Kyoto, but there are many other places in Japan where you can see cherry blossoms in mid April:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011_when.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/8 10:02
As for Takayama, it depends on the year. If you are lucky, the festival coincides with the cherry blossoms. I was twice, but twice the festival was a little bit too early for the cherry blossoms. Besides evergreens, most trees will not have leaves yet.

But Takayama in spring is just as nice as Takayama in autumn.
by Uji rate this post as useful

end march 2009/1/8 14:11
I saw somewhere that in 2008, cherry blossom started around 22-26 March for osaka/tokyo.
When did full bloom start? Or at least to see something close to full bloom?

If I am leaving Osaka on 31March this year, any chance that I will get to see full bloom (assuming blooming start around same time as 2008)?
by cherry rate this post as useful

sakura records 2009/1/8 18:03
Many sakura vewing spots are mentioned here:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011_when.html

... sorry and thanks ... 2009/1/8 18:06
Sorry - I just saw that Uji already linked that page.

Uji, thank you for your answer regarding Takayama. Much appreciated.

.. 2009/1/8 18:07
It is said that Sakura tends to reach its full bloom about 1 week after its opening day.

And it is not easy to predict in advance which day is the opening day. It depends on the year.
by Ts rate this post as useful

Sakura Front in English newspapers? 2009/1/8 18:20
We will be in Japan from March 26/27 to April 16/17.
Besides getting the general idea, it would be nice to get ongoing information on the then current sakura front.

Are there Japanese newspapers in English language or any other sources in English language that give such information?

japan guide 2009/1/8 19:31
I think Japan-guide.com provided sakura front information last year. :))
by V rate this post as useful

kyoto 2009/1/12 12:24
Any chance of sakura blooming around kyoto at March 28-30?

What was it like last year?
by Sakura (guest) rate this post as useful

Maybe 2009/1/12 14:57
There is a chance, but it is probably a little early. No-one can really say until mid-March and even then an unexpected cold snap can delay things!
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

29th March 2008 2009/1/12 15:49
We JUST caught the beginning of cherry blossoms in Kyoto Imperial Palace gardens on March 29th 2008..simply stunning, but the rest of Kyoto would have been another few days we think..you may be lucky..hope so..we will be back again this year but April 5-18,(Aussie school holidays) starting in Tokyo and ending in Kyoto..hopefully good but not setting our hearts on it!!!!
by fmj rate this post as useful

kyoto 2009/1/12 16:47
fmj, thanks for the info.

I understand it also depends on species. I read that the ones around Mint usually bloom around 3rd week April.
Anyone know where the early-blooming species can be found around the kyoto/kansai area?
by sakura (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread