Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Physical therapy in Japan? 2008/12/14 00:00
Hi,

I'm a French last year student in physical therapy. I planned to travel in japan not as a simple tourist but in order to find a way to work as a physiotherapist in japan. The informations that I gathered said that the JLPT 1 (bilingual) is required and the applicant will have to pass an examination.
(source: http://www.ne.jp/asahi/jpta/international/FPT.htm)

I'm still a beginner in Japanese (JLPT4) but I'd like to work as soon as possible in this country so I'd like to know if there are some others ways.
Is it possible to be employed by luxury hotels or to work with expatriates as a "freelance" physical therapist?

If you have any clue either self-experience or professional contacts in japan, you're welcome.
by Jorudi  

... 2008/12/15 09:59
I do not know anything about the profession of physical therapists specifically, but I can contribute concerning your work/employment potential.

Is it possible to be employed by luxury hotels or to work with expatriates as a "freelance" physical therapist?

Working on a freelance basis would be impossible; please consider your working visa situation - I assume you do not have any kind of work-permitting visa for Japan. You will need to be employed full-time by a Japanese company, who will sponsor you for a work-permitting visa so that you will be able to work for them.

The only chance I can imagine is that if you have extensive experiences in a luxury hotel in Europe or somewhere already, some hotels might be interested in hiring you as an assistant. I say assistant because, if the conditions for physical therapists are as given in the link you gave, then you are not eligible to open business as one, or to work as full physical therapist anyway.
by ... rate this post as useful

reply to this thread