Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Chrismas New Years holidays in details 2008/12/19 05:55
Hello everyone!
My husband and I are doing to New Years holidays to Japan.
We will stay in Kyoto (Kyoto -city) from 24 Dec - 29 Dec and in Tokyo (Shibuya) from 29 Dec – 5 Jan. We alredy have have everything booked and paid, but we don’t have a plan of our holidays. I read “Lonely planet” and couple other resources, so I got so much information and an ideas, so I need to choose the most interesting and the best.
Kyoto.
24 Dec – Kyoto Imperial Palace Park and/or Kyoto Imperial Palace.
Where can we go out for Christmas Eve? Can you recommend nice restaurant or maybe tea ceremony will be more interesting?
25 Dec- We would like to do something special because of Christmas. Maybe we can visit some kind of spiritual place – Temple or Castle for example Nijo Castle, Golden Pavillion, Kinkaku-Ji, Ryoan-Ji, Ninna-Ji, Myoshin-Ji e.t.c. (what would you recommend?) or Torii tunnels ?
26 Dec – I would like to go to see the maiko & geisha’s world. I would like to try their make up and their out fit and my hubby can try a samurai out fit. Also, I would like to see the art of ikebana. Where to go see the best? Do you know something about this?
27 Dec – Walking in Sagano-Arashiyama, Kameyama –Koen Park. Japanese bath (onsen hot spring) for afternoon . Kabuki or Geisha Dance for the evening.
28 Dec- we would like to experience authetic Japanesse living (culture) in Kyoto (do you know where is to go for the best?). Sumo (for evening (where is the best?))
29 Dec – departure on a bullet train to Tokyo.
Tokyo .
29 December - Ryogoki Kokugikan Stadium (Grand Tournament of Sumo)
30 Dec- Royal Palace
31 December - Disneyland
Where is the best place to meet New Year? I am sure in Japan will be very beautiful fireworks.
1 January - Disneyland
2 Jan – Any electronic exhibition (electric town), for evening Tea ceremony / Kabuki or Theatre or Live Music
3 Jan – Have a look at the beach and take a Bay Cruise
4 Jan – Shopping, Dance club for evening
5 Jan- Stone garden or any garden. Evening - departure to Sydney.

What do you think? Did I miss something really interesting and important? What would you suggest (any changes?)? I’ll appreciate any ideas.
P.S. Sorry for my writing, if it’s a lot of mistakes, English is not my first language.
by Just me  

Geisha makeover photos info 2008/12/19 11:45
In Kyoto there is a well known studio that does the geisha/maiko makeover photos. The name is Yumekoubou and they are located in the Gion district. They do not do photos for men (ie samurai costumed). However, there is a studio in Tokyo that does both men and women and their website shows that they are very accustomed to foreign customers. If you online search for oiran or geisha makeover photos in Tokyo it should come up. Since you are going to Tokyo I would choose that option. The studio in Kyoto is great but from going there (with friends who are conversational in Japanese and with the writing) I gather they have a mainly Japanese clientele.
by HC rate this post as useful

FYI 2008/12/19 22:58
29 December - Ryogoki Kokugikan Stadium (Grand Tournament of Sumo)
I'm afraid but there's no sumo tournament until Jan 11th, 2009.
And if you intend to spend New Year's Eve in Disneyland (from 6pm to 2am), you need a special ticket called "Countdown 2009 Party Passport," which have already been sold out...
by JLady rate this post as useful

geisha makeover 2008/12/20 02:29
I recommend Studio Shiki. They have two locations in Kyoto, great prices and samurai outfits. I will be going there in several days myself :)
by cc rate this post as useful

Reconsider Jan 3 2008/12/20 06:15
You might want to reconsider your Jan 3rd idea. Average temperature in Tokyo for January ranges from 1 C to 10 C (34 F to 49 F). That's not really beach and boat cruise weather.
by ... rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2008/12/20 06:35
To visit the Imperial place you need an appointment. In addition the palace visit, by all accounts,isn't as interesting as other palaces in the world, including Nijo in Kyoto. Dec. 24-26 may not be the most convenient time to visit many places either but I COULD BE WRONG. The weather is also likely to be cold and it get dark early, not the greatest time to walk outside.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

reply to this thread