Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

32'' suitcase + travel by Shinkansen? 2008/12/22 19:14
I plan to go to Japan for 3 weeks in Feb. and use 32'' suitcase.
Will I be able to travel around, up and down shinkansens with it?
I had considering about using Takkyubin too.
But since my first destination in Japan will be Hachinohe then Sapporo, so I can not avoid carrying all fluffy cloths with me anyway.. -_-'

Thanks again..
by CPMK  

Luggage 2008/12/22 22:15
CPMK,

I don't think that is an overly large suitcase, so you should not have too many problems, but make sure you read the guide to travelling with large luggage on this site...
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2274.html
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Large Suitcases 2008/12/28 23:04
I saw tourist with 32"suitcases on the Shinkansen before. Travelling with Suitcases on Shinkansen shouldnt be an issue however its the hassle of bringing the large suitcases onto the Shinkansen platforms or getting to the station from your hotel that will gives you the most problem. Some roads or underground mall leading to the train station does not have escalators running downwards or some doesnt have lifts down.

Also, if you need to do a train transfer before or after your Shinkansen train ride then you will face an ultimate challenge of getting your 32" luggage onboard.

Eg, if you need to travel from Ikekuburo to Kyoto, first from Ikekuburo u face issue getting from ur hotel to the Ikekuburo train station and then there after you face another challenge of getting your luggage onto trains to the Shinkansen stations like Tokyo or Shinagawa.

You may want to consider luggage delivery service. Service is very efficient. I got to make use of the service during my recent trip and I sent my 2 x 29" luggages from Tokyo to Kyoto to Osaka and back to Tokyo. I sent on the day that I was to check out the hotel and was totally impressed when I arrived the next day and luggages arrived when I check in the destination hotel.
by Rk rate this post as useful

large 2008/12/29 11:39
i think that is a big suitcase. it will be a huge pain in the butt to haul that thing around on the trains. you will regret it. (btw it's spelled ikebukuro). use yamato kuroneko takkyubin to store or transport your suitcase to your destination. a suitcase like that will probably cost around 2500yen, but you can check their exact rates on their website (google!). i wouldn't want to be bothered walking around all kinds of stations, hauling a big suitcase up and down escalators or stairs and etc.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

wear 2008/12/29 11:41
wear your big puffy clothes on the train. my recommendation. hachinohe and sapporo are both freezing right now.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/29 14:34
I travelled with a 32" suitcase around Japan and it was sometimes annoying to drag it up and down stairs but I definitely didn't regret it. My suitcase was an upright one which had wheels so it was easy to take it between platforms and train stations. I personally think spending 2500yen to get your bags couriered is a waste of money. But I guess it depends on how much money you have and how fit you are as to whether you choose to send your bags or carry them with you.

If you choose to take your bags with you then try not to use local trains in peak times as the trains are packed and it will be really difficult to fit on with a suitcase. On the Shinkansen there is space for a couple of large suitcases behind the last row of seats, try and get on the back of your carriage to store your suitcases on the way on, to avoid dragging them down the aisle of the train to the back. If the spots behind the last row are full then you can always put your suitcase at your feet where you are sitting, not ideal but there's heaps of leg room so there is space.
by AusEz rate this post as useful

Thank you and HPNY 2008/12/29 14:59
Dear Dave in Saitama / Rk / winterwolf / AusEz

Thank you so much for all of your answers.
The part I'm worry the most is storage space in Shinkansen. Since my BF keeps convince me that it has a very small space that I can not fit my 32" luggage in.
I'll consider again for takkyubin. -_-
by CPMK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread