Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

4 days at Hokaido 2008/12/31 22:50
Hi,

i'm thinking to get to Hokaido around 19th of April for 4 days..

What is recomended to do in Hokaido for 4 days?

In general, I will be 5 weeks in Japan, starting at Osaka.
I also would like to travel in Kyushu and Shikoku beside Kansai and the Alps. The last week i would like to do around Tokyo (nikko, hakone).

thanks ahead
by Doron  

... 2009/1/1 08:12
About Hokkaido:
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1101.html

Higher elevations are still snow covered.
by Uji rate this post as useful

ok, thank you 2009/1/1 15:42
but if i have 4 days for Hokkaido, what would be the best to see?

How much time should i spend in Hakodate and Sapporo? Is there a chance to visit NP?
by Doron rate this post as useful

question 2009/1/1 16:03
Doron

What is NP?
by Dosanko rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/1 17:52
It depends on your interests! For shopping, go to Sapporo and Otaru. For hot springs, Noboribetsu is the most famous of many options. For animals, visit Asahikawa's zoo. As for national parks, some might still be snow covered in higher ares. For that reason (and time constraints), I recommend to skip Daisetsuzan and Shiretoko.

A general possible route could be:
Fly into Sapporo - see Sapporo and Otaru - take the bus to Noboribetsu - take the train to Hakodate - depart through Hakodate Airport

sorry.. NP=national park 2009/1/1 18:06
sorry.. I'm still used to this NP instead of National park... bad habit from New Zealand.
(-:

Thanks Uji 2009/1/1 18:08
what about JR train to Hokkaido?

... 2009/1/2 09:17
what about JR train to Hokkaido?

It is possible, but considerably slower. Cost wise, it can be comparable, if you can use an air pass and use it as efficiently as possible, for example, Fukuoka - Sapporo and Hakodate - Tokyo

More about air passes:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2364.html

It's sound interesting 2009/1/2 22:04
But, is there anything worth seeing between Tokyo and Aomori?

I'm Landing in 24.3 at Osaka. I'm planning to stay around for a week (Osaka, koya-san, kyoto, nara, Kobe, himeji).

Then to activate the 3 weeks JRP to the 2nd part of the trip. from Kyoto/Kobe to Shikoku, Hiroshima & Kyushu area - that's for about a 7-8 days.

After that.. I thought to visit the Japanese Alps - Kanazawa, Takayama, Matsumoto and around. (but with this part i would need much planning help later)

Then I thought to visit Hokkaido via Aomori by trains. You mentioned it's slow - i would have to reconsider my plans.

After Hokkaido I planned to do my way to Tokyo, Hakone & Nikko and on the 28.4 fly home.

By the way, are the transport fares on this website are up to date?

Would it be efficient to have JRP and JAP together??

Tohoku 2009/1/2 23:20
Depending how much time you can spare, there are lots of worthwhile sights between Tokyo and Aomori. Besides Nikko, there is Sendai with nearby Matsushima and Yama-dera. Further north is Hiraizumi with lovely Motsu-ji and Chuson-ji. Still further north are 2 beautiful lakes: Tazawa-ko and Towada-ko.

For onsen experience, among the more popular are Zao Onsen, Ginzan Onsen, Naruko Onsen and Nyuto Onsen.

Mid to late April is cherry blossom time in this part of Japan. People make special trip up there to see the tunnel of weeping cherry trees in Kakunodate riverbank and those on the castle ground in Hirosaki.

The places mentioned are the more popular sights. Northern Honshu (Tohoku) has a lot more to offer, and its beauty is not yet spoilt by over-crowding tourists.
by William rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/1/2 23:37
thanks for the info.

okay, need help with Kyushu and Shikoku 2009/1/4 07:58
I think that the option of flying from Fukuoa to Sapporo is pretty good one.

I need assistance with planning Shikoku & Kyushu trip.

I can find JR timetable in English for Kyushu, but not for Shikoku.

Is there much to see in Shikoku?
I thought to visit Matsuyama & Takamatsu. Anything else beside that? (kotohira kabuki?)

About Kyushu. I planned to get to Fukuoka, Saga, Nagasaki, Kumamoto, Kagoshima, kirishima, Mt Aso, Beppu and Fukuoka again.
It came out 5 days..

How long should I stay at Nagasaki? I thought about a day trip from Fukuoka.

thanks

... 2009/1/4 08:19
I can find JR timetable in English for Kyushu, but not for Shikoku.

Timetables for all trains in Japan:
http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/
http://grace.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

Is there much to see in Shikoku?

Shikoku does not have many "must-see" attractions, but many minor attractions. Here are some basics:
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1107.html

About Kyushu. I planned to get to Fukuoka, Saga, Nagasaki, Kumamoto, Kagoshima, kirishima, Mt Aso, Beppu and Fukuoka again.
It came out 5 days..

It is utterly impossible to pack all these attractions into only five days! I recommend at least 10 days.

How long should I stay at Nagasaki?

A full day at least. If you like to travel at a slow pace and see cities in some detail, then at least two days are required.

10 days?.. 2009/1/4 15:45
What can I do in Kyushu for 4-5 days?

... 2009/1/4 15:52
What can I do in Kyushu for 4-5 days?

Visit 2 or 3 places introduced here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1108.html

ooch.. 2009/1/4 19:41
10 days?? I only got 35 days in Japan..

so what should i do on those 35 days? Landing at Osaka, departing from Tokyo.

What will be a good course and what is "must see"?

well, 2009/1/4 22:48
i might consider to pass on Hokkaido

leave it to next time that i'll travel to Japan (probably would be Autumn 2010..2011 or 2020 (-: )

ok.. 2009/1/7 20:44
so I'm thinking of book a flight from Fukuoka to Aomori.

To get discount fare, I need a sort of Air-Pass or it would be enough to book atleast 28 days ahead?

reply to this thread