Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Planning for Mt Fuji Trip 2009/1/1 22:18
I will be going to Mt Fuji from Kyoto and will be staying there for 2 days. I am quite lost with planning for this trip, so hope that can get some of help from the experts out here.

My first day will be more likely half a day gone just for the transport timing from Kyoto. I will like to visit;

1)Oshino Village
2)5th station Kawaguchiko
3)Lake Saiko, Lake Kawaguchiko
4)Narusawa Ice Cave
5)Mt Tenjo

Will be great if I can have some guidance on the sequence of visit.

In addition, is it worth it for me to purchase the JR Kawaguchiko Saiko Free Kippu?
by AnagoLover  

... 2009/1/2 09:34
I assume you will continue to Tokyo afterwards.

I recommend to get off the shinkansen from Kyoto at Mishima Station and catch a Fujikyu bus bound for Gotemba/Kawaguchiko. These buses stop at the entrance of Oshino Village along the way.

After seeing Oshino, you can take a bus to Kawaguchiko, where you can see Lake Kawaguchi, ascend to Mount Tenjo and take a bus side trip to the 5th Station (operates between April and November only). With the "retro bus" Saiko loop line you can then access the ice cave and Lake Saiko.
by Uji rate this post as useful

5th station close??? 2009/1/2 10:22
Oh no... I will be going in Feb. Does that mean that I have to take 5th station off my list? I don't intend to travel further but I really want to "touch" mt fuji.

I will stay 2 nights at Kawaguchiko. Afterwhich then I proceed to Tokyo. From the planning that you have indicated above, does that mean I can finish all these in half a day? :o

by AnagoLover rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/2 13:53
Does that mean that I have to take 5th station off my list?

There is no public transportation to the 5th Station and there is a high probability that the road to the 5th Station is closed at least partially due to snow. If the road is partially or fully open, you could consider going to the 5th Station by taxi or rental car, if it is very important to you.

From the planning that you have indicated above, does that mean I can finish all these in half a day?

No. You say that you arrive in the afternoon from Kyoto. So, I think you will only be able to see Oshino and then go to your hotel.

Depending on your preferred pace of travel, you could pack all the remaining sights into day 2 or distribute them over one or one and a half days.

Thank you! 2009/1/2 14:25
Ok, that is clear enough. Thanks for your prompt reply!! :D

Missed out question 2009/1/3 01:03
Just realised that my question on the pass not yet answered =)

Is it worth it to purchase the pass with my stated itenary?

... 2009/1/3 09:05
The pass only makes sense if you visit the Fujigoko area in a side trip from Tokyo, which you do not.

Rail and goko free 2009/1/3 10:11
How about rail and goko free pass? Worth it to purchase? If not, can recommend a pass that suits my itenary? Did a search for transport cost and realised quite costly... Will be great if can get a pass for the Fuji trip :)

Thank you for your patience!

... 2009/1/3 13:05
It sounds like you will be using the following transportation:

1) Bus from Mishima to Oshino and from Oshino to Kawaguchiko
2) Retor Bus to Lake Saiko and back
3) Train from Kawaguchiko to Otsuki (when returning to Tokyo)

Considering the above, none of the free passes is going to pay off. I recommend to buy regular bus tickets from Mishima to Oshino to Kawaguchiko (about 2000 yen) and then use a 2-day pass for the retro buses (1000 yen), before buying a regular ticket for the train to Otsuki (about 1000 yen). From Otsuki you can use your Japan Rail Pass to continue to Tokyo.

Cheers! 2009/1/3 13:29
That sounds good!!! Thank you very much for your help!

reply to this thread