Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Degree from a Recognized Institution 2009/1/2 12:16
Degree from a gRecognized Institutionh?

Well I have been looking all over the net for information on work visas in Japan and I have also been looking at job websites and a lot (if not all) say that the bachelors degree needs to be from a recognized institution c

What I am nervous about it that I am going to be starting a 3 year bachelors degree of the visual arts and design with a specialization in photography at TAFE SA soon, and I donft know if this is considered a gRecognized Institutionh internationally (I know it is within Australia). I would have done this course at Uni if I didnft have to drop chemistry in the middle of the year due to illness.

So will the degree from TAFE SA do for future employers?

Thanks,
Bonnie-Rose
by Bonnie-Rose  

???? 2009/1/2 19:13
is your school accredited? you need to find out. find out who the accreditation association is in australia, and then find out from them if your school is an accredited school or not. if it isn't you're out of luck.

as for illness and etc. don't mention that to immigration, they won't be interested and it will probably hurt your application if it's already on shaky grounds.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

bachelor's 2009/1/2 19:14
by the way as long as it's a BACHELOR's degree or equivalent then that's all you need. and as long as it's from a real accredited university/college.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

the course is acctrdited 2009/1/2 19:27
Um... well I just looked at the website and the course is accredited... I say this because some of the courses offered at TAFE SA are not, but the one that I am entering in to is...

So does that mean that it is all good?

Thanks,
Bonnie-Rose

by Bonnie-Rose rate this post as useful

. 2009/1/2 19:43
TAFE is a Government funded educational institution, be assured you're fine if you get a degree from them.

What Immigration in Japan is worried about, are "fake" Universities, eg "Diploma Mills" where people essentially buy fake diplomas and try to use them as real.

Pretty much if your school is a real "brick and mortar" school (eg its a REAL school with actual buildings, etc) and a quick research on TAFE shows its a government funded institution, shows that it is pretty safe if you get a degree from them.
by John rate this post as useful

. 2009/1/2 19:45
As for course accreditation. You're probably confused, with credit courses and non-credit courses. These are two totally different things from the school actually being "accredited". Of course non-credit courses don't count towards actual degrees so it should not matter to you much.

thanks! 2009/1/2 19:50
Thanks John (although the second post made me a little confused for a second)!

Um... I think I get it now! But I would still like other people to give their advice and/or opinion on the topic!

Thanks,
Bonnie-Rose
by Bonnie-Rose rate this post as useful

TAFE 2009/1/2 21:49
Hi Bonnie,

I think you should check with the Japanese embassy, just give them a call. TAFE is a government institution but is not a university, alot of people go to TAFE having failed to enter university, and my brother is one. That's why, to be completely sure, you'd best ask the embassy.

The other thing i wanted to note is that alot of universities offer bridging courses. Im not sure why chemistry is important to you, but bridging courses should fill that gap as i know alot of students who take them if they hadnt studied a subject required to take the course they want for university. Just a tip.

Cheers
by sonny rate this post as useful

. 2009/1/2 22:58
There is no requirement from it to be issued by a University, the requirement from Japan Immigration is from a 'recognized institution'.
People can get degrees from other institutions that are universities in name.
In most cases a Bachelors Degree is enough.

While generally speaking TAFE offers advanced diplomas (a level under Bachelors) there are some TAFE programs that are Bachelors.

I'm not Australian, never been down there (I'm sure it's a nice place) but from what I see and my quick research, TAFE meets every definition of an accredited recognized institution.

Again what Japan is more worried about is what are called "Diploma Mills" eg you pay some money and they give you a piece of paper saying you Graduated.

Now of course TAFE is a real deal place of higher education, funded by State governments, with real buildings, real teachers and real schools.

reply to this thread