Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Voltage and adaptors for Japan 2009/1/2 12:19
Hi All,

I have an Australian hair straightener which reads to be only 240v 50hz.
I have read that Japan's voltage is only 100v so does that mean my hair straightener won't work?
I heard only the straighteners with 100v-240v would work but unfortunately mine is only 240v :(
Is there some sort of special adaptor/converter plug I can use so it will work?

Thanks!
by Shion  

yes 2009/1/2 15:01
Yes, there are converters you will need to use to make them work. Many airports sell them, as well most large duty-free shops in Japan. Some hotels have converters built into the washroom power sockets.
by me rate this post as useful

To be more specific 2009/1/2 17:55
Power plug converters simply allow voltage compatible items to work from the variously configured foreign plugs. If your device does not have something like 100-240 or 110-250 on it but just 240 it will not work in Japan.
by RodW rate this post as useful

slow 2009/1/2 18:28
Lots of stores in Australia sell adaptor/conversion plugs BUT things like hairdryers, straighteners etc will go VERY VERY slowly, and ours were never the same when we returned home, don't know why..I recommend buying what you need in Japan if you are going there to live, or doing without if you can while on holiday....
by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread