Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

train reservations for Golden Week 2009/1/5 04:10
My son and I will be visiting Japan for 2 weeks around the Golden week. We may be travelling from Tokyo to Kiso Valley, Takayama, Nara, Koyasan and Kyoto.
1. Do we have to make reservations for the trains before we go there? How?
2. The travelling will be within 8 days. Will a Rail Pass be worthwile?
3. Does our journey sounds all right?
Thanks! Jantje
by Jantje  

... 2009/1/5 08:43
1. Do we have to make reservations for the trains before we go there?

No. Almost all trains have unreserved seating, which can be used without seat reservations. However, considering that it is a busy travel season, I recommend to try to make seat reservations. You can make seat reservations at railway stations:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2016.html

The travelling will be within 8 days. Will a Rail Pass be worthwile?

A 7-day pass is likely to cost almost the same as regular tickets for JR trains. Therefore, I would consider buying one. Note that transportation to Koyasan is not covered by the Japan Rail Pass.

3. Does our journey sounds all right?

Yes, busy but all right if you like a fast pace of travel.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Program 14 days 2009/1/5 19:30
Thank you Uji!!! We don't like to hurry but I didn't know what to leave out of the plan.. My son is 15 and he likes to have time in Tokyo. But also would we like to see some more rural, less modern Japan. Also we are interested in Buddhism. We would like to get the feel more than hurry from temple to temple..
We were thinking of:
april
26, 27, 28 Tokyo
29 to Kisovalley
30 Kisovalley (walking Nakasendo trail)
mai
1 to Takayama
2 Takayama
3 to Koyasan
4 Koyasan
5 to Nara (visit) and to Kyoto
6 Kyoto
7 back to Tokyo
8 Tokyo
9 early flight from Tokyo
What do you think of this?
Too much hurry?
Then what should we leave out?
Many thanks, Jantje
by Jantje rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/5 22:25
Unless you know Kyoto well already from previous visits, I recommend to spend more time in Kyoto at the cost of other destinations. Otherwise, it looks now like a more enjoyable itinerary. Still not a very slow pace, but well doable without hurrying too much.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread