Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Leaving Japan/residence requirements 2009/1/5 10:08
I'll be moving from Tokyo back to the USA. I currently work at Todai. I was wondering if I need to notify my local ward government that I would be leaving; i.e., I would no longer be a resident of Tokyo.
by Dr Bob  

As far as I know 2009/1/5 12:24
If you are leaving for good (meaning, not coming back on the same visa on Re-entry Permit), then at Immigration upon departure, you return the Alien Registration Card; this will be reported to the ward/city hall you were living in, so no separate reporting is required.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2009/1/5 14:30
If you're on National Health Insurance, you might need to inform the Health Insurance Section of your cityhall/ward office and return your health insurance card.

As for your actual Alien Registration, as mentioned, you just give it to the Immigration Inspector when leaving Japan at the airport.
by John rate this post as useful

. 2009/1/5 23:08
Make sure you don't owe taxes at your ward office before you leave. I had to pay up until April even though I left in November. OUCH!
by Beto rate this post as useful

reply to this thread