Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kamakura - Accommodation 2009/1/5 14:00
We are planning on spending a couple of days in Kamakura on our next visit in early February.
Can anyone recommend good places to stay a night or two?
For the second night, one thought is to head further south. Any recommendations? I think that part of the country maybe at its best in the warmer months?
There seems to be lots to see and do in Kamakura, so maybe we will just (slow down &) stay there.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks
by deemacvee  

Kamakura 2009/1/5 23:48
When we visited Kamakura, we stayed in the nearby town of Ofuna. We found accommodation in Kamakura a bit too expensive for our budget. Using the Kamakura Enoshima Free Kippu pass, you can travel freely and easily between Ofuna and Kamakura. For the 2 days we were there, we also went to the lovely island of Enoshima.
by William rate this post as useful

Too Cold in Feb? 2009/1/6 04:53
Thanks for the advice William. I will have a look into staying at Ofuna as well. I have been looking at the Kamakura Enoshima Free Kippu pass, but as we are planning on spending 2 nights south, before returning to Tokyo, I'm not sure if we'd get our money's worth from the two day pass as we could not use it to return to Tokyo (on the 3rd day).
Enoshima soumds interesting. Perhaps too cold in the middle of winter? We don't mind the cold, but are wondering if the island will be mostly hibernating or closed at that time?
by deemacvee rate this post as useful

Enoshima 2009/1/6 06:44
We were in Enoshima during Oct. It wasn't cold but was quite windy, esp. going up the hill and strolling along the coast. In Feb. I suspect it would be rather cold, so bring enough warm clothing.

The island will not closed. It's best explored on foot for the scenery. The only 2 places that have opening hours are the Observation Tower/Samuel Cocking Garden and the Iwaya Cave, both of which haven't indicated any closure during winter times.

If you going there, don't forget to pay a visit to the island's famous inhabitants - cats! There are a lot of them on the island. They are used to visitors and would not run away even if you take close-up photos of them. Enoshima is said to be a sanctuary for wandering cats. You will also notice donation boxes all around town for the cat society. The outline of the island is even said to resemble the shape a cat!

Enjoy your trip.

Kamakura Enoshima 2009/1/6 07:54
We will be in the alps for a couple of weeks before, so we will have the termal undies, hip flask & other cold weather essentials.

I will have to find a map of the area to plan the attack, but as we will only be travelling that bit with small overnight packs, I think we will just take our chances on accommodation and see where we end up each night.
Thanks for helping with some great tips.
Cheers
DMcV

Kamakura-Enoshima 2009/1/6 09:12
Enoshima map:
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~qm9t-kndu/enoshima.htm

Kamakura map:
http://www.sol.dti.ne.jp/~sasaki-y/a014/b0001/c0007-e01.html
http://www.kanagawa-kankou.or.jp/english/area/kamakura.html
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-307.pdf

If you're there 3 days and not using the Free Kippu pass, there is no point staying in Ofuna and travel everyday to and from Kamakura. Go straight to Kamakura and stay there for 2 nights.

Kamakura 2009/1/6 09:39
As above, the accommodation is Kamakura tends to be very pricey, which is a motivation for many people to stay in nearby areas such as Ofuna. It is less than 10 minutes from Ofuna to Kita Kamakura station.

As for the weather, it will probably be around 5-10 degrees C and mostly fine and clear, although there is a small chance of snow. I'm a chicken about the cold but I like wandering around/hiking in Kamakura in winter- if you dress well you warm up quickly with all the walking and it is very peaceful as the summer crowds aren't there.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/1/6 13:59
The maps and info are great.
Thanks William.
Thanks too for the advice Sira
DMcV

reply to this thread