Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Teaching in Japan again-No Degree. 2009/1/8 13:07
I know similiar questions have been asked about this before so I apologize in advance but..

My situation is this:

I lived in Japan from 1997-2003. I taught English at a local Eikaiwa for that 6 year period. At the time I was married to a Japanese National and had a spouse visa and was working off of that. Unfortunately things went sour in our relationship and I ended up moving back to America in April of 2003. The company I had worked for had told me that if I ever wanted to come back I was welcome. Well I saw an advertisement for the company I worked for and they are looking to hire full-time and part-time teachers starting in April (which I think is the norm for Japan). I miss Japan and teaching there very much so I e-mailed them and they said they were happy that I e-mailed them and they would be glad to have me back and to let them know my plans. So as far as the job it is already lined up.

My problem is this. I don't have a spousal visa anymore and I am American so the only thing I could come on is a visitor visa. I know for a fact the company I worked for before had sponsored visas before but I do not have a college degree. I have been reading around and some people have stated that in liue of a college degree, if you have between 3-10 years of experience you may still qualify for a work visa. I am wondering if my 6 years of teaching at the school would make me qualifiable in this situation? If so how do I prove it? I don't know if the company would have records that long ago of when they paid me, I sure don't. Anyone been involved in any situation like this before or have any suggestions? Thank you so much April will be here before I know it.
by Mike  

. 2009/1/8 15:24
Ask the company if they have your records. The company in question mentioned to you to come back if you wanted so someone somewhere or in some file probably has a record.

As for being approved or not approved well thats up to Immigration. The more and longer you had experience along with references the better.

You should contact the company in question first, then ask them if they are willing to try to sponsor you based on experience, if they are willing, then just go down that route and see what happens at Immigration.
by John rate this post as useful

This visa? 2009/1/8 15:25
Hi, I guess you can get a an employer-sponsored visa.
The info is below.
http://www.thunderguy.com/japan/topic/work-in-japan/work-vis...
http://www.thunderguy.com/japan/work-in-japan/work-visa/work...
My company has several foreign workers, and they have this visa.

What does this sound??

by Hanna rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/8 15:37
Hanna,

The visa you mention is a work visa. It is what Mike and John are discussing above.

I suppose a better way to phrase Mike's question would be:

Does 6 years at an eikaiwa count as work experience towards a work visa?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

To yllwsmrf 2009/1/8 16:22
Sorry I have thought it too easy since there were several people who didn't have a colleage degree in the eikaiwa school I worked before and at my current work(this is not eikaiwa, so probably there is no need to proove experience though).
by Hanna rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/8 17:33
no problem, any and all help is appreciated! I just wanted to clarify the question for everyone.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread