Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Train travel narita to kyoto 2009/1/10 16:02
I am travelling from Narita to kyoto for two days. I will travel by train, should I book on line or is it easy enough to get a ticket when I arrive at Narita station and would I buy one ticket to Tokyo and then when I arrive in Tokyo buy a ticket to Kyoto. I have looked at the www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english site and this has helped a lot as to pricing and times etc but I cannot find when and how to book and if I need to book. Also do I need a reserved seat or can I get an unreserved seat and what does this mean?? Can the train book out?? I will be travelling on 13th febraury at around 9.30am or 10.00am I hope someone can help as to if I should book now or wait until I arrive. On the 15th February I will catch a train from Kyoto to Nagano and the same question applies here. Can I wait until I arrive or do I need to book now and if I do have to book what site do I go to book. One more question please. Am I better off to get a japan rail pass & if I am I am not sure if the railway lines I will be travelling on are on the rail pass. I hope someone could help. Thank you.
by vickyb  

... 2009/1/11 11:13
I am travelling from Narita to kyoto for two days. I will travel by train, should I book on line

I don't think it is possible unless you have an address in Japan and can read Japanese.

or is it easy enough to get a ticket when I arrive at Narita station

Yes, it is easy enough! And recommended, because you do not know whether your flight arrives on time and how long the immigration procedure is going to take.

and would I buy one ticket to Tokyo and then when I arrive in Tokyo buy a ticket to Kyoto.

No, you can buy a ticket all the way from Narita Airport to Kyoto, assuming you use JR between Narita Airport and Tokyo.

Also do I need a reserved seat or can I get an unreserved seat and what does this mean?

The Narita Express between the airport and Tokyo requires a seat reservation, but the shinkansen between Tokyo and Kyoto does not. However, I recommend to make one for peace of mind. Seat reservation means that a specific seat on board of the train will be reserved for you.

Can the train book out?

Yes, on some busy days, trains can get booked out.

I will be travelling on 13th febraury

It is not a busy day!

On the 15th February I will catch a train from Kyoto to Nagano and the same question applies here.

If you travel in the afternoon, it might be a little bit busy, but no need to worry if you make a reservation at one day in advance.

Am I better off to get a japan rail pass & if I am I am not sure if the railway lines I will be travelling on are on the rail pass. I hope someone could help.

The round trip Tokyo - Kyoto - Tokyo already justifies the purchase of a 7-day Japan Rail Pass. All your major trips will be covered.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread