Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Comment on our itinerary 2009/1/11 14:54
Hi there, I would like to see what other people think of our plans in Japan. The trip is approximately 2 weeks long and we have divided our time as follow:
- Tokyo (4 nights)
- Fukuoka (2 nights)
- Osaka/Kyoto (4 nights)
- Kusatsu, Gunma (2 nights)
- Tokyo (1 night)

We have a 7 day JR pass that we will activate as we depart from Tokyo to explore the other major cities in Japan.

Part of our plans is to buy our wedding rings and some figurines/Gundam models in Japan.TOKYO

Any comments and recommendations are much appreciated.

26 January 2009 - Arrive in Tokyo at approx. 9pm

TOKYO
27 January 2009
- Tsukiji Fish Market
- Imperial Palace (c‹)
- Asakusa
- Akihabara (shop for manga/models)

28 January 2009
- Shibuya
- Harajuku
- Shinjuku (Kabukichō)

29 January 2009
- FREE DAY to do whatever we did not do

FUKUOKA/HATAKA
30 January 2009
- Travel to Fukuoka [ACTIVATE 7 DAYS JR PASS] – 6hr Train Ride
- Yatai

31 January 2009
- Sight seeing Fukuoka
- Canal City gCity within the Cityh

OSAKA/KYOTO
1 February 2009
- Travel to Osaka
- Takoyaki/Okonomiyaki Hunt

2 February 2009
- Namba: Den Den Town
- Hozenji Yokocho Alley
- Sightseeing Osaka

3 February 2009
- Travel to Kyoto
- Kiyomizudera ´…Ž›
- Imperial Palace
- Fushimi Inari Shrine
- Gion ‹_‰€(Geisha District)
- Pontocho æ“l’¬

4 February 2009
- FREE DAY to do whatever we did not do

KUSATSU
5 February 2009
- Travel to Kusatsu
- Walk around and rest

6 February 2009
- Experience Kusatsu Onsen

TOKYO
7 February 2009
- Travel to Tokyo
- Rest

8 February 2009
- Depart from Japan

by lady0421  

... 2009/1/12 08:21
I think it is a very good itinerary. I see no problems. You have lots of time allocated to Kusatsu, which is great for relaxation. Kusatsu has also a ski resort, in case you like skiing.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Imperial Palace 2009/1/12 09:56
Did you know that you have to book a tour to see the Imperial Palace in Kyoto? You can visit the garderns but to see the actual palace you need to bring your passport any apply to join a tour 30mins before it commences.
by AusEz rate this post as useful

Long train rides >_< 2009/1/12 20:55
Thanks for the comments.

I did not know we have to book in advance to tour the Imperial Palace in Kyoto! That will be something to bear in mind.

I thought the trip is a little exhausting given that the travelling from city to city took up some of our valuable time. However, I am sure the train ride will also be a wonderful experience I am hoping there will be some nice scenery to see and different bento to taste!

by lady0421 rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/12 21:08
When you travel from Tokyo to Fukuoka try to sit on the right hand side of the train as you get a great view of Mt Fuji from the train going past. Your train trip to Fukuoka is pretty long but the shinkansens are very comfortable with an amazing amount of leg room.

I also noticed you are going to the Imperial palace in Tokyo. You can't actually visit the palace becuase the family live there but you can visit the gardens and see a bit of the palace from the outside, it's not that exciting in my opinion though.
by AusEz rate this post as useful

Imperial Palaces 2009/1/12 21:09
You will have to make an - application to visit - for the Imperial Palace in Kyoto and in Tokyo. See: http://sankan.kunaicho.go.jp/order/index_EN.html

In Tokyo you just walk along two Imperial buildings, no visit inside. In Kyoto you walk along the building with some paintings to be seen, here too no visit inside.

Because of your limited time for Kyoto I would replace Imperial Palace by Nijo Castle ( needs no reservation ) and try to include the Golden Pavilion Kinkakuji.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Free Day 2009/1/14 17:41
Awsome plan. You are doing the right thing in keeping that free day. You will be in Kyoto and there will be alot of things in the city to do or maybe a side trip. Anyways have a good trip.
by Dave03 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread