Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Stopover between Yamagata and Kushiro 2009/1/11 22:34
Hello guys!

Actually I have two questions, but the main question depends on the first one...here we go:

I'm planning on travelling around in Hokkaido for about 12 days by car in early September. What I want to see is Akan Nat. Park, Shiretoko Nat. Park and Rebunto. Therefore I thought, Kushiro might be best suited for start and goal of the journey, also there is a rental car outlet at the station. Would you recommend Kushiro as starting point too?

Well, the main question is as follows:
I will be in Yamagata for two days (31. Aug; 01. Sep). I want to rent the car at 05. September in the morning. So I need to be at Kushiro the day earlier in the evening.
I've got two days left, but I don't know where to go. Anyway it should get me closer to Kushiro, since the train trip takes a whole day I guess. Do you recommend any sights or places in Tohoku?
Maybe I should travel on to Hokkaido and visit Hakodate or Onuma Nat. Park?

Anyways, Morioka or Sendai is not an option, because I will stay there on my way back to Tokyo.
I have already been in the region on my previous journey, and have visited Akita and Tazawa-ko. But I feel kind of dissapointed about those places. I've also been to Oirase Stream and don't intend to go there again.

Ah, I do have the JR Rail Pass until Kushiro, so I would prefer to go by train, but a ferry might be ok as well.

Thanks for any advice ;)

Georg
by Georg 87  

... 2009/1/12 08:37
Would you recommend Kushiro as starting point too?

Yes!

Do you recommend any sights or places in Tohoku?

Some interesting places between Yamagata and Kushiro are:

Kakunodate:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3601.html

Hakodate/Onuma:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5350.html

Sapporo (the train journey leads through Sapporo anyways):
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2163.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Tohoku 2009/1/12 10:35
Other places worth considering in Tohoku: Aizu-Wakamatsu, Kitakata, Ouchijuku, Bandai Plateau, Okama-ko, Yama-dera, Naruko Onsen, Ginzan Onsen, Hiraizumi, Geibikei and Gembikei Gorges, Nyuto Onsen, Dewa Sanzan, Hachimantai Plateau, Hirosaki, Aomori, Sannai-Maruyama Iseki site.

by William5 rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2009/1/12 20:24
Yes, I like the idea of Hakodate and Onuma! It's almost in the middle of Yamagata and Kushiro. Therefore two days should be long enough, right?

Moreover I can take the Senzan Line to Sendai again, which is one of the most scenic train rides I've seen so far :)

Kakunodate
I thought about Kakunodate before, but it's quite a long trip and there isn't anything else around.

Sapporo
I've already been there for two days in 2007, guess there won't be that much new sights ^^
Moreover I will take the southern train ride via Tomakomai and change at Minami-Chitose, so I won't see Sapporo, anyway...

Aizu-Wakamatsu, Kitakata, Ouchijuku, Bandai Plateau
Those places are located south of Yamagata, that doesn't really shorten the way to Kushiro ;( I guess the Aizu-Wakamatsu Area is a scenic place, but I will have to save it for another travel.

Okama-ko, Yama-dera
I've already been to Yama-dera before, but I will definitely go there again! Okama-ko too seems to be a nice side-trip from Yamagata. Do you know, whether there are any buses from Yamagata station?

Naruko Onsen, Ginzan Onsen, Hiraizumi, Geibikei and Gembikei Gorges, Nyuto Onsen, Dewa Sanzan
I'm not into Onsen, I'm travelling with my girlfriend and to bath separated from her isn't that great. I see there are many gorges, but travelling there seems like much stress, only Naruko Onsen is accessible by train, and bus rides are time-consuming.
Hiraizumi is a possible stopover from Yamagata to Hakodate, is it worth the effort? It seems like most sights are located close to the station, that would be perfect. Does anyone know, whether there are big lockers at the station?

Hachimantai Plateau
I'm afraid there would be much too less time to experience the plateau. I hope to see enough nature in the National Parks of Hokkaido :)

Hirosaki, Aomori, Sannai-Maruyama Iseki site
This is like either Aomori or Hakodate, I can't do both, and therefore I guess, Hakodate is better suited for me. Hirosaki seems to be a nice cherry blossom viewing spot, but it's September...
Also I'm not a fan of historic villages.

Anyway, thank you Uji and William!

Maybe you do have some additional info about Okama-ko and Hiraizumi?

by Georg 87 rate this post as useful

Okama and Hiraizumi 2009/1/13 03:40
Okama-ko
http://www.pref.miyagi.jp/kankou/en/natural_park/02_zao.htm
http://www.kankou-miyagi.net/cgi-bin/ss_detail.cgi?ID=203000...

bus from Yamagata JR station to Okama-ko (only during late Apr. – early Nov)
http://www.yamakobus.co.jp/jikokuhyou/ya-za.html#okama

Hiraizumi
http://www.jref.com/practical/hiraizumi.shtml

To visit Motsu-ji and Chuson-ji, take loop bus from bus stop in front of tourist info. centre which is on your right as you exit Hiraizumi JR station. Day pass for the bus is 300 yen. Inside Hiraizumi JR station are coin lockers, 300 yen for small ones, 500 yen for bigger ones. Time allowed Hiraizumi is a good base with bus connection to Gembikei and Geibikei Gorges.
by William5 rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/13 05:00
These are really useful informations, thanks a lot William ^^

It would have taken me forever to find that bus timetable...

... 2009/1/13 08:02
I thought about Kakunodate before, but it's quite a long trip and there isn't anything else around.

Depending on where in Yamagata Prefecture you start, Kakunodate is virtually along your way to Kushiro. But it is actually very close to Yamagata, therefore, it might not be the most ideal stop over.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Hi Uji! 2009/1/13 19:33
Well, I actually meant Yamagata City. Sorry for inexactness. But then the fastest way to Hokkaido isn't via Kakunodate.

It is possible to visit Hiraizumi (3-4 hours should be enough) on my way from Yamagata City to Hakodate, without staying there overnight.

Though I already have been to Hakodate once before, it was only for about 3 hours, so I couldn't see much of the city. I'd like to enjoy the night view of the city from Mt. Hakodate. The next day I could travel to Onuma Nat. Park and back to Hakodate in the evening. The third day I could walk around in the city in the morning and then depart for Kushiro.
That sounds quite perfect.

So, if I was going to Kakunodate, I would rather have to stay there overnight, because it takes about an hour from Morioka. But then, I would still have to find another location worth a day of exploration.

So Hakodate/Onuma (Hiraizumi) is probably the best idea :)

I may visit Kakunodate on my way back when I'm in Morioka, but I don't know whether I will have enough time for this side trip...

So, actually this topic is closed! Thanks for all of your help!

reply to this thread