Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ryokan Katsutaro near Ueno? 2009/1/13 04:17
Anyone stay there before? Is it good?
by doggy173  

... 2009/1/13 09:57
There's Ryokan Katsutaro and there's Annex Ryokan Katsutaro, I've stayed in the Annex one before which was great. It was in a quiet area, 2 mins walk to the subway, 5-10mins walk to the JR Yamanote line. It has Japanese style rooms with futons and ensuit bathrooms.

I think the two places are owned by relatives or something, their websites are connected. The difference as far as I know is that the annex one is newer and is non-smoking.
by AusEz rate this post as useful

Annex 2009/1/13 10:11
I've also stayed in the Annex about 4 years ago. I liked staying in a 'regular' neighborhood. It was a five minute walk to a Metro line and about ten minutes to the JR line...
I recommend it....
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Annex!!!! 2009/1/13 16:27
I highly recommend the annex too.I read some unflattering reviews of the other one on tripadvisor.com.
by R. (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/1/14 15:13
Thanks. I will book Annex then.
by doggy173 rate this post as useful

Annex all booked up 2009/1/15 15:08
Annex all booked up for the time i want. so will Ryokan be alright?
by doggy173 rate this post as useful

Katsutaro ok 2009/1/16 00:01
We stayed in Ryokan Katsutaro in April 2007 and had no complaints - the only problem was to find the place on arrival in Ueno but that was probably down to my poor map reading skills...
by Sari (guest) rate this post as useful

Katsutaro 2009/1/17 03:25
It's not hard to find. IF you take the Keisei line at arrive at Ueno, there is a tourist INFO booth. ask them and they have a map of the area. It's not far away, all you have to do is walk along the pond and then cross the road. The Keisei Line is the cheapest to get from NArita to Ueno. 1000 yen or 1920 depending on if you want the slower or the faster train
by Jun 33 rate this post as useful

Supermarkets near Annex Katsutaro? 2009/2/10 00:29
I've stayed at Annex Katsutaro Ryokan once, and I'm going to stay there again this year.

I remember there were three convenience stores close to the ryokan, as well as the shopping street, but is there a good supermarket nearby?
by kasasagi rate this post as useful

supermarket 2009/2/10 02:57
There is a supermarket across from Nezu station - Chiyoda Line - maybe 10 minutes walk away?
by Ichinensei (guest) rate this post as useful

Annex is great 2009/2/13 22:51
The ryokan (I stayed at the Annex) itself is great. Friendly people, clean rooms, reasonable price, free internet and a (beer-) vending machine.

But the main attraction for me was the neighbourhood. It has a friendly village feel to it. No high buildings, people going about their daily lives, running small shops. There is a very good market nearby.
The annex people have made a map of the area. Be sure to ask for it because it has all kinds of wonderful restaurants on it. I tried the sushi and the tempura restaurant and both times had a wonderful evening.
And there are two public baths near the Annex. Have a nice, relaxing bath after a busy day of shopping in Ginza.

On the Yamenote line it is one stop from Ueno. You can walk to Ueno station, it is a very peaceful walk (admittedly, the walk is mainly over one big cemetry).
by Leo (guest) rate this post as useful

katsutaro ryokan 2009/2/15 14:12
I stayed at the katsutaro ryokan on my first trip to japan, i too found it a little difficult to find first time but it was at night and direction was a bit difficult, if i was to do it again i would get a map from the information booth or off the internet or information desk as suggested and then get a taxi from uneo station it's not far but getting the taxi is very conveinient first time. I have stayed at Annex Katsutaro many times. Yes they are run by the same family. Katsutaro is a little older.
by genkijim rate this post as useful

reply to this thread