Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

travel plan definition 2009/1/19 02:13
hello, we are a couple with a one year old baby travelling to japan for 3 weeks in may (from 10th to 29th). We'd like to receive feedbacks on trip we had in mind: arrival at narita - direct to kyoto - some days in kyoto + himej and nara - from nara to kanazawa - then to takayama - then to nikko and kamakura - ending our trip in tokio.
Our doubts:1) 2 or 3 weeks JR pass? 2) is it useful to have JR pass when staying in tokio? 3) how are train connections for our trip? 4) too hard having a little boy with us? 5) how do reservations for ryokan work in japan? thanks a lot for your help.
by luca (guest)  

... 2009/1/19 08:15
2 or 3 weeks JR pass?

If you can fit all your major trips into 14 days, I would go for a 14-day pass, otherwise with a 21-day pass. The difference between the two is about 12,000 yen.

2) is it useful to have JR pass when staying in tokio?

A little bit. You can use JR trains inside Tokyo, such as the Yamanote Line. It probably saves you about 200-500 yen per day. But it alone will not justify the "upgrade" from the 14-day to the 21-day pass.

:3) how are train connections for our trip?

Stations and trains are full of bilingual signs. So getting around should not be a major problem, even with a small child.

5) how do reservations for ryokan work in japan?

You can make reservations by phone through the ryokan's website (if available) or through a ryokan reservation website. In many cases, just name and phone number is enough, because most people still honor their reservation in Japan. Then you just show up at the ryokan telling them your name.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/19 08:19
One more thing: it takes about six hours from landing in Narita until your arrival at Kyoto Station. So, for example, if you want to arrive in Kyoto before 8pm, your flight should arrive at Narita Airport by around 2pm.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/19 08:30
If it's possible I would suggest to arrive at Kansai International Airport near Osaka. I always start with the Kansai area, so I can save some days of the JR rail pass by using the Kansai Thru Pass. Also the stress for your child is more bearable, because the train ride is much shorter.
Moreover I would recommend to stay in Kyoto for the whole time and do Nara as a sidetrip. So you will have your hands free for the baby, and you don't need to carry all the luggage with you. If you are going to Kanazawa the next day, you have to go via Kyoto anyway.
by Georg 87 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread