Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 42

1 2 3
next

Suggestions, Tips, etc? 2009/1/21 00:21
Hey,

I'm 16, and live in America, and am thinking of going to Japan in a couple of years, as a Visit, and then possibly settling down there later in life (You see I would like to travel the world, so possibly after all my travels are done, I would like to settle down there... It may seem far fetched I know, but thats another story). I am currently learning how to speak Japanese through a cousin of mine who speaks fluently, and self teaching. So when I'm... 18, I'm thinking of going, how long would it be suggested I stay? 10 days? 30 days? etc. Also in the long run, are there any tips of what to do, how to act, were to go, etc.

by HFF  

... 2009/1/21 07:32
Tips and suggestions for your trip:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623.html

Tips and suggestions for moving to Japan:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e625.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

^^ 2009/1/21 12:42
I think it's never to early to start learning, mostly because it is a different language to transition to since you speak English *compared speaking spanish to japanese because of the pronounciation* but there's also alot of kanji out there, So why not start learning hiragana? ^^ it's pretty neat being able to read those lil symbols even more so in School in America, as a suggestion, if you think of learning hiragana on your own, take on 5 symbols 1-3 days, I did that, I could read hiragana pretty well in a month ^__^ Hope this helps a little :D
by Mellon Creamy rate this post as useful

lots of options 2009/1/21 17:04
hey there young dude.
its awesome that u know what u want to do. u SHOULD go to japan to check it out. u have a million options, some of which i will list for u.

Homestay. live and interact with a japanese family though a school contact, reputable agency, friend, etc. go for a month or 3 or 6 depending on how much time u can spare.

Vacation. go for at least 2 weeks. doesnt matter what country u go to, u need at least a few weeks to get to see the country. i wouldnt suggest staying ONLY in tokyo; i would see the countryside as well (what little there is of it). go to temples/shrines. see how ppl live.

study abroad. once u get into college, (or actually before u get in) u should check schools to see if they offer overseas study programs. many universities these days have relationships with foreign schools in which u can earn credits and go to a school in a diff country. could do that for a year and ud be in good shape.

internships. after u graduate college, look into getting an internship in japan.

JET program. after graduating college, this is by far the best way to come to japan (to teach english). they sponser u, give u a bigger paycheck than any other entry level job, find accommodations, get u a bank account, and lots more.

if u can learn some japanese while ur young (and i mean actually LEARN to use it, not just follow along with lame textbooks), if u take a 2week vacation, if u go to school in japan for 6months or a year, u will be ahead of many many other individuals interested in japan.

good luck
by KuzuRanger (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks guys! 2009/1/25 12:02
Thanks guys, Now I'm even more excited about going to Japan.
I'm now actually taking a Japanese course from a guy that lived in Japan, and his wife who lived there for 20 years. I'm also at the same time studying Genki Workbook 1 ~ An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese 1. ( http://www.jbox.com/TOPPROD/S3#PB890 )

I'm now seriously thinking of going to a school there for 6 months to a year like you said, but in two years would I be fluent in Japanese? Or at least know Japanese enough to understand everyone pretty decently?

Thanks

by HFF rate this post as useful

Oh Also... 2009/1/25 12:34
I thought I also should mention but, my uncles good friend lives in Japan (Kyoto), were I want to live. I could stay with him for a bit. Just thought I should add that in.

:P

language 2009/1/25 19:23
ok heres the thing...
i know plenty of ppl who have lived in japan for a year or two and enjoyed their time immesely; having fun with friends, partying, enjoying the life. and some of these ppl never learned japanese past a few important phrases.

on the other hand, ppl who are serious about studying can master japanese in as little as a year or two. one way to measure your japanese ability is to take the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT). currently there are 4 levels, where 1 is the highest. ive heard of ppl getting level 2 after being in japan for 1-2 years. (level 2 is business level. 1 is native level).

OMG! GO VISIT YOUR UNCLE IN JAPAN!! lol. seriously. dont wait until your 18. do it next summer. if u like japan (and u probably will) it will motivate you even further.
by KuzuRanger rate this post as useful

Genki 2009/1/26 01:56
Good luck learning from the genki workbook! I also have it, and am trying to learn. Luckily, my older brother is learning Japanese so he could help me.
I learn Hiragana fairly well within 3 weeks, and am trying to learn Katakana now. Good luck!
by Kira (guest) rate this post as useful

Ah 2009/1/26 01:58
I haven't bought it yet, but I will today, is it any good? (with teaching, explaining things, etc)

Money? 2009/1/26 03:13
Hi, I want to visit Japan before I actually move there after college too, but I'm financially screwed.I'm 17. I've been studying for a while and I would like to be around Japanese people so I can learn more. But I can't afford a trip to Japan.

So, anyone got any ideas?
by Ren (guest) rate this post as useful

Err... 2009/1/26 03:17
Ren, I suggest simply saving up. Its not there hard, get a job, and save up enough money for the trip.

also 2009/1/26 11:00
if u have friends/family there, ask to stay with them.

if not, get enough for a cheap plane ticket, and just enough for food/lodging. u can backpack in the countrysides, and sleep in tents or stay in youth hostels if u can find them. if u stay in regular hotels, it WILL cost a fortune.
by KuzuRanger rate this post as useful

Learning Japanese 2009/1/26 11:43
If you are really serious about learning to speak Japanese to native fluency, check out this site

http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/all-japanese-...

It seems really hard and when youre going through it wou'll want to give up sometimes, but if you really want it this is a great way to learn. The author of the site is also very helpful, the site is full of motivational posts that will keep you going.
by DreyDDR rate this post as useful

correction 2009/1/26 11:45
above I said it seems hard, which isn't really correct, in fact the whole basis of it is to have fun while learning. I really meant to say that it seems like it will take a long time, about 18 months if you go hardcore. Really the harder you work with this the quicker you can become fluent.
by DreyDDR rate this post as useful

There 2009/1/26 13:13
are nothing funny about language studies, just like any other studies, you must concentrate and learn like at the university, but double your time :), because uni is performance-oriented, there you expected to learn all material feed to you in a very limited time. Don't do it. Don't read these "funny" suggestions and crappy sites. Be serious about what you do, only after you really learned it, you will use it and have fun (maybe).
by Module (guest) rate this post as useful

What 2009/1/26 13:29
is "ggod" for Africans, maybe not as "good" for you :)
by Module (guest) rate this post as useful

Woo 2009/1/26 23:10
Hey I checked out that site. Its actually quite interesting, I'll probably study that on TOP of the book I'm getting on TOP of my Japanese Language classes. Dang... I may learn this really quickly.

Again, thank you so much everyone for all the tips, suggestions, etc!

good luck! 2009/1/27 09:32
yes, so far it has been good. I wish I could get lessons and save up, but no one hires at my age, unless if I want to be a babysitter. I bought Rosetta Stone, a kana book, a grade 1 and 2 kanji book, and a Japanese learning DS game. I find that the genki book is the best (don't get the DS game), and if you keep reviewing kana everyday and add a few letters a day, you could learn kana within a month or two (at leisure pace). I learned Hiragana in 3 weeks and hoping to learn Katakana within 2.
Good luck!

Hey this site is actually... 2009/1/27 09:35
Hey thats sweet! I've actually been on this site reading it all day: http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/all-japanese-...
(what he posted above).

I may actually do it, basically you can become fluent in Japanese in 18 months and it seems that it will work!

wow 2009/1/27 10:11
Good luck! I may use that site! 18 months, wow!

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 42

1 2 3
next

reply to this thread