Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Fun Kyoto venues? 2009/1/29 17:37
I'm planning to go to Japan for 2 months-- one spent in Tokyo, the other in Kyoto. However, I'm wondering if you guys think I will be totally bored spending a whole month in Kyoto. I do love temples and shrines as well as the Japanese culture, but I'm afraid it will get old if I do that every day. Any suggestions of fun and different places to go in Kyoto? I don't have much money to spend, otherwise I'd probably go to Osaka and Miyajima/Hiroshima for day trips every once in a while. And I mean I'm so tight-budgeted that I probably can't do a rail pass either (I have to pay for myself and one other person who doesn't have a job.. So this whole thing will get pricey for me).

Anyway, I don't want to only experience the city life, so I'd like my second month to be more rural, yet not redundant. Anything crazy in Kyoto?

Also, my 20th birthday will be RIGHT after I come back from Japan, but I can't change the date of the trip. Do you know of any places where people aren't usually carded (Tokyo or Kyoto)? The person I'm going with is 20 and I don't want to be a drag. I know that clubs will be near-impossible (we probably wouldn't go to one anyway), but what about bars or just buying at convenience stores? My companion just turned 20, so they feel weird about buying alcohol still and want me to 'pick some up'. I know, this entire trip is a little unfair on my end =P
by GoLizzy (guest)  

... 2009/1/29 23:52
A lot of places don't card you. Kyoto has some clubs, but most people go to Osaka to party.
I think you might get bored there after you see the sights.
by Beto (guest) rate this post as useful

When in doubt, go to Shijo 2009/2/1 12:45
There are a decent number of bars and a few clubs in Kyoto proper. Most are i what we call the "shijo/kawaramachi area": boredered by Shijo-dori to the south, Sanjo-dori to the north, karasuma-dori to the west, and kawaramachi-dori to the east. I've been living here for 5 months, so I can't claim to be an expert, but I go there almost every weekend and I'm never bored with it.
The street called Kiyamachi (a nice boulevard running north-south a block west of Kawaramachi-dori) has the highest concentration of bars, both on the street proper and on its many side streets.
There are also a few clubs on Kiyamachi, the most famous being the World (right near the intersection of Kiyamachi/shijo, on the northwest corner) and Sam&Dave, a hip-hop reggae club popular with foreigners that's farther north up Kiyamachi.
by nagareboshi7 (guest) rate this post as useful

one more thing... 2009/2/1 12:50
Forgot to mention--if you like being chill, then it's really nice to go drink by the river at Sanjo-ohashi. when the weather's okay there's lots of people there, including some performers (like the fire-dancers that come on Saturday nights).
by nagareboshi7 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread