Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can stay if Visa expired but... 2009/2/5 11:26
..applied for extension or change of status of residence?

My currnet Visa expires in early April but due to delay in some document delivery I can apply for change in late March. According to some sources, it is okay to stay after expiration if you have applied before the current one expires. Can somebody please confirm this for me?

Your responses will be very much appreciated. Thanks in Advance.
by kwesite  

... 2009/2/5 13:49
I am not a lawyer, but as far as I know, as long as you apply for renewal before the current visa expires, it should be OK. When you go apply, I believe you get a stamp in your passport to note that the application is being processed by Immigration.

If you had any change in your circumstances, for example, change of employer, etc., the processing might take a bit longer than normal, so have patience.

If you are still worried, call in and ask Immigration Office with your circumstances :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Application? 2009/2/5 13:52
Look in your passport, probably somewhere near your old visa, for a stamp that says "Application". If it is there, you don't need to worry about your visa expiring- I once applied for an extension just days before my visa was due to expire, and didn't receive the extension until several weeks later. It wasn't a problem.

If you don't have an "Application" stamp anywhere, you may need to talk to Immigration.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

arigatou! 2009/2/5 20:31
Thanks for your confirmations, it helps
by kwesite rate this post as useful

reply to this thread