Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 28

1 2
next

Tohoku region 2009/2/8 01:15
I will be visiting north Tohoku region in early May.I have about 6 days. Need some advise where I should base myself centrally where I can move easily around Amori Akita and Iwate.Suggestions welcome.Thanks.
Flo
by Flo (guest)  

... 2009/2/8 10:29
I don't think that the Northern Tohoku Region is well suited to be explored from a single base, due to the fact that transportation is slow as soon as you leave the main train lines.

Instead I recommend to overnight in each place that you visit. If you are worried about luggage, note that the Tohoku Region is well suited to be explored by car, especially outside of winter:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2024.html

If you want to explore the region from just one base, after all, my choice would be Morioka, from where you have fast train and bus connections into many parts of the northern Tohoku Region.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Tohoku region 2009/2/8 23:07
Thanks Uji. Do you recommemd I move from place to place..like to Lake Towada then on to Amori Akita make aloop and back to Tokyo.Is it better that when we land in Narita on 1 May we take the Shin to Morioka to avoid 2&3 May
by Flo (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/9 09:01
Do you recommemd I move from place to place..like to Lake Towada then on to Amori Akita make aloop and back to Tokyo.

Basically yes. Details depend on where exactly you intend to go. You don't intend to visit Aomori City and Akita City, do you?

Is it better that when we land in Narita on 1 May we take the Shin to Morioka to avoid 2&3 May

Yes, if you leave Tokyo Station on the May 1st before around 4pm, then you can travel much more comfortably than on May 2 and 3. The trains in the evening of May 1 (especially those leaving Tokyo Station after 5pm or so) can also be expected to be very crowded.

tohoku region 2009/2/9 22:42
Hi Uji,

Thks for that piece of advise. I do wish to visit Akita and Amori. How about I base in Kakunodate for 3 days and do day trips to Akita,Morioka, Tazawako before moving on to Amori? INO which lake district should I stay Towada or Tazawa.
by flo (guest) rate this post as useful

Kakunodate... 2009/2/10 04:12
...is a lovely place. We spent a couple of nights there at Xmas 07, and it was wonderful in the snow.

Be aware though, that it's quite a small town. If you're looking for a small-town experience, I think you will love it. But if you want a more mixed experience over your trip, you may consider mixing somewhere like Kakunodate with a larger town.

I might just be expressing personal preferences, and for all I know you're looking to escape Tokyo ( you don't say where you live) or somewhere similar, but I thought it might help you to know the above.
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/10 08:28
I do wish to visit Akita and Amori

The two cities have little to see. But the two prefectures have lots to see. My favorite places in Akita and Aomori Prefecture are Kakunodate, Hirosaki, the Lake Towada region, Nyuto and Tamagawa Onsen and the Shimokita Peninsula (Osorezan).

tohoku region 2009/2/10 09:17
Thks winter guest & Uji,for sharing I have been to the Kansai region so this time more west and I like smaller cities or town.Can you help with accomodations? Any suggestion I dont mind budget ryokan and minshuku.

accommodation 2009/2/11 04:40
Sorry Flo, but I can't remember where we stayed in Kakunodate. It was a modern onsen place a short courtesy bus ride out of the centre. Perfectly comfy, with simple but perfectly nice japanese food. Can't remember even which search engine we used to find it.

We were only in Kakunodate as a stop off from going to the Oga peninsula (if you want remote, that's a good place to try, and there's an excellent acquarium there) for the New
Year to see the namahage (?spelling? I mean the "devils" who come down from the mountains on New Yr's Eve to make the little children behave through the next year).
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Tohoku 2009/2/11 23:44
Thanks winter for your suggestion. Uji, can I just do a day trip to Tazawako and Nyuto onsen or it is better to stay a night in one of the Nyuto hotspring.If I do, need to make reservation first. Thks

... 2009/2/12 19:03
Uji, can I just do a day trip to Tazawako and Nyuto onsen or it is better to stay a night in one of the Nyuto hotspring.

It is definitely better to stay overnight for the whole onsen ryokan experience! Tsurunoyu Onsen is particularly famous - and books out far in advance. Kuronoyu is also nice, but very basic. For more comfort, I recommend Taenoyu.

If I do, need to make reservation first.

You certainly should make advance reservation.

nyuto onsen 2009/2/14 22:56
Uji,

Thanks for your recommendation.Should I just call them or what other means? I don't speak or understand japanese. Any advise on accomodation. Thks

accom 2009/2/15 01:16
Hi, just to share, I booked an accom for one night in Kakunodate - Kakunodate Plaza Hotel (booked through Japanhotel.net)
Will be flying off on the 26th Feb. I haven't been there b4. This my 1st time.
^-^
by selp (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/15 07:51

accom 2009/2/15 23:58
Thanks Uji and selp happy holiday in Japan.Thanks for sharing.

accom 2009/2/19 01:15
Hi selp,can you give me contact of Plazahotel so I can call or website.I have difficulty finding accom in Kakunodate.Thanks

... 2009/2/19 08:53
If you enter "plaza hotel kakunodate" into Google, the first result contains all the contact data:
http://web.travel.rakuten.co.jp/portal/my/info_page_e.E...

Spent 7 days in Tohoku 2 years ago 2009/2/20 12:23
flo, is this the same flo from Fodor's? You helped me with my trip plans several years ago. I went Tazawako and the Lake Towado region two summers ago. My husband and I went in early July, still the rainy season which prevented some hiking in the higher elevations. However, we did stay two nights at a lovely ryokan in near the Nyuto Onsen, Taenoyu. It was a bit of a splurge, well worth it. The hike up Nyuto was gorgeous, even in the rain. I loved Sendai, I still don't know why, but I loved it. Great size, great fried oysters. We stayed at a rather large onsen near Lake Towado, and we walked about 8 miles to the lake through lakeside paths, even in the rain it was lovely. I am from an area in the US not unlike Towado-ko, I still remember it fondly and would definitely recommend that you spend a few days up there. Off season it is quite nice. Sorry I can't be more help. Don't you practice TKD?
by Christine (guest) rate this post as useful

Tohoko 2009/2/20 22:20
Hi Christine I am not the flo that help but your sharing greatly excite me. May I know how you travel to Lake Towada. I am not sure if there is a bus from Morioka.
Uji do you know if there is any bus,if there is then I don't have to train to Hachinohe.Only 2 bus schedule a day or more.Travelling on 2May. Tks

... 2009/2/21 08:15
There used to be a bus between April and early November. But it looks like that the bus does not operate in 2009:
http://www.iwate-kenpokubus.co.jp/toshikan_bus/schedule...

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 28

1 2
next

reply to this thread