Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

tohoku transportation 2009/2/8 12:33
Hi,

We are considering traveling from Morioka to Kakunodate to Yamagata. We want to use the slower, hopefully scenic train between Omagari to Shinjo. We will use a JR East pass. Hyperdia does not give us any options for the shinkansen, on the Shinjo to Yamagata leg.

Can we use the shinkansen from Morioka to Kakunodate, tour the city, get back on and to Omagari. Use slower train to Shinjo, get back on shinkansen to Yamagata, in one day?

thanks,
ph
by papayahead  

... 2009/2/8 13:33
Can we use the shinkansen from Morioka to Kakunodate, tour the city, get back on and to Omagari. Use slower train to Shinjo, get back on shinkansen to Yamagata, in one day?

Yes, it is easily possible.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Omagari - Shinjo 2009/2/12 03:39
If the weather cooperates, you get some great views from the train to the west over rice fields to Mt. Choukai, an active volcano on the border between Akita and Yamagata Prefectures.
by kokumamushi rate this post as useful

more questions 2009/2/16 14:55
Aloha Uji,

We continue planning our Tohoku trip. Please help me with more transportation details.

What is the easiest way to get to Ichinoseki, after a day of touring Matsushima? We prefer not to use the shinkansen, heard the local train is scenic. Do we have to somehow get to the JR Tohoku line?

We will spend 2 nights in Ichinoseki. One day we'll go to Hiraizumi, second day we'd like to do the gorges. Can you give me transportation details for the gorges from Ichinoseki, including links to bus/train schedule?

I've booked Tsurunoyu Onsen in Nyuto Onsen! Can you provide me with a link to the bus info, from Tazawako train station to Alpa Komakusa Bus Stop? It'll cost Y580 per person to go to Nyuto, can you estimate the cost of taxi trip (25 min)?

We are considering seeing Kitayamazaki, traveling from Miyako. In your opinion, do you think it is worth the time/effort? We will be viewing Jodogaham Beach while in Miyako. From Tanohata station, can you help me with bus transportation details to Morioka? This will help us decide on the Kitayamazaki option.

Thank you very much,
ph
by papayahead rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/16 16:19
What is the easiest way to get to Ichinoseki, after a day of touring Matsushima? We prefer not to use the shinkansen, heard the local train is scenic. Do we have to somehow get to the JR Tohoku line?

Yes, you can catch the JR Tohoku Line from Matsushima Station, which is just a kilometer north of the sightseeing area at the bay. Not to confuse with Matsushima-Kaigan Station, which provides more convenient access to Matsushima Bay.

Can you give me transportation details for the gorges from Ichinoseki, including links to bus/train schedule?

I assume you refer to the Geibikei Gorge. It can be accessed by train. Take the JR Ofunato Line from Ichinoseki to Geibikei Station, from where the boat pier can be reached in a 5 minute walk. You can look up the timetables here:
http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/

Can you provide me with a link to the bus info, from Tazawako train station to Alpa Komakusa Bus Stop? It'll cost Y580 per person to go to Nyuto, can you estimate the cost of taxi trip (25 min)?

Buses depart every hour or so. The one way fare is around 800 yen. I estimate the taxi to cost around 4000 yen.

We are considering seeing Kitayamazaki, traveling from Miyako. In your opinion, do you think it is worth the time/effort?

I am not familiar with the place.

thanks 2009/2/16 16:50
Thanks Uji.

Do you know where I can find info on bus transportation between Morioka and Tanohata?

ph

... 2009/2/16 21:36
Not sure about a bus. But you can get there by train. To get timetables, enter "Morioka" and "Tanohata":
http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/

thanks 2009/2/21 17:03
"Yes, you can catch the JR Tohoku Line from Matsushima Station, which is just a kilometer north of the sightseeing area at the bay"

Do you mean we can walk from the sightseeing sites to the JR Matsushima station?

thanks,
ph

... 2009/2/21 21:40
Yes, a kilometer takes about 15 minutes to walk. Alternatively, you could take a taxi. There might be a bus, too.

reply to this thread