Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting Kyushu 2009/2/10 08:39
I am planning a 3wk trip to Japan for next July. I will be visiting Hiroshima and Miyajima and am considering if it is worth going down to Kyushu.

What are the best highlights to see in Kyushu?

I know about Kumamoto Castle, Suizenji Gardens, Mt. Aso, and Nagasaki.

How long do you recommend staying in Kyushu to see the main highlights?

Where do you recommend that I stay so that I access everywhere easily? I hate to have to checkin and out every day of different hotels it wastes time, so what is the most central place for daytrips?

Thanks.
by jbx (guest)  

... 2009/2/10 08:47
About Kyushu:
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1108.html

About a week is required to see the standard highlights (not including Yakushima Island).
by Uji rate this post as useful

options for shorter stay in kyushu 2009/2/10 09:18
i dont really have a full week to spare for kyushu. I was only thinking about a maximum of 2 nights. (I wish to spend the last 3 nights on Ishigaki in Okinawa)

Where is it best to stay in Kyushu if I am just staying for 2 nights?

by jbx (guest) rate this post as useful

Dont forget Beppu! 2009/2/10 09:29
You cant go to
kyushu without visiting Beppu! Its the onsen capital of the world & the Hells of Beppu tour is a must! It is a lot of commuting if you intend to do all that you say in 2 days - most of time will be spent on public transport!
by Deaks rate this post as useful

Pick a point 2009/2/12 03:32
The cities of Kyushu aren't all connected by Shinkansen (yet) so you would need time to get between the different cities. I would choose just one major point and see what's in that area, such as:

Fukuoka: the city (Craic & Porter bar for Guinness) and then a side trip to Yanagawa (canals) or Daizaifu (temples).

Nagasaki: enough in the city for 2 days, but you could head up to Haus ten Bosch to watch the Japanese "visit" a "foreign" country.

Kumamoto City: You can do the castle and Suizenji and a few more sights in a day easy and use the second day to get up to Mt. Aso.

Kagoshima City: Take the Relay Tsubame from Hakata to Yatsushiro and then the Kyushu Shinkansen to Kagoshima to visit the Saigo Takamori sights on one day, and the Sakurajima volcano area the next.

Beppu: Check out the hot spring hells one day or two. You could also spend the time in Yufuin to check out a more laid back hot spring resort.
by kokumamushi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread