Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

toyoko-inn Tokyo 2009/2/15 07:34
Hi,

After reading answers to similar questions as mine, the following hotels are either not available or not suitable:

Korakuen
Shinagawa
Otsuka 1 & 2

What would be a good alternative? I was thinking of Ikebukuro 1 & 2 but have read that its close to the red light area. As long as its a safe area (no muggings etc) this doesn't worry me. Would these hotels be OK ie in a safe area. Any other suggestions?

I would like to stay at one that is easy for sightseeing, easy to get to (esp with luggage) and I'll have a JR Pass.

Thanks.
by Japan Visitor (guest)  

... 2009/2/15 18:21
Ikebukuro locations are safe.
by AK rate this post as useful

:) 2009/2/15 22:15
I can guarantee that Ikebukuro is 100% safe, I've always stayed there everytime i go tokyo. (I'm female by the way)
by nexa a2y rate this post as useful

ikebukuro 2009/2/15 23:01
Even the red light districts in Tokyo are quite safe, and muggings are extremely rare in Japan- basically places are very well lit and there are always lots of people around. The Shinjuku Toyoko Inn is near the red light district as well- my parents stayed there a couple of years ago and were quite happy with it.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

toyoko-inn Ikebukuro Tokyo 2009/2/16 04:04
Thanks for your replies! Would either of these 2 hotels be in a good location for a tourist? Bearing in mind that I would be dragging a suitcase on the first and final days there.
by Japan Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Toyoko Tokyo 2009/2/17 04:34
Both Otsuka locations are very near the station as well as the shinagawa branch. Otsuak station is very small and easy to navigate, so it would be convenient with your luggage. The only thing is that that side of Otsuka is kind of red-lightish too. I've stayed there and had no troubles. Even in sketchy areas, Japan is very safe. Shinagawa is in a ritzier area, the station is huge and therefore, more walking to get through it, but much more convenient if you want to travel via shinkansen. It's also next to the shinagawa Prince hotel in which there is a nice aquarium. Ikebukuro is Ok. There are some things to see and do there, but not as much as other areas of Tokyo, so for me, not as exciting.
by KC (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/2/18 02:37
Sorry, I meant are the Ikebukuro locations good from a tourist's point of view. Unfortunately the Otsuka locations don't have twin rooms.

Ikebukuro station 2009/2/18 04:48
I'm also looking for a Toyoko Inn in Tokyo with a twin room.

I decided against Ikebukuro for two reasons. I like Ikebukuro personally, in fact I could spend half of my travel budget in the shops in the area, and that wouldn't be a good thing! But more importantly, I dislike the station. It's huge, confusing and busy.

I'm not able to book yet, so I'm still trying to find the perfect location. My first choice is Korakuen, but their availability calendar doesn't look very promising when it comes to non-smoking twins. I'm currently considering Akabane as a back up, though I haven't been to the area before, and Japan Guide describes it as a busy station as well.
by kasasagi rate this post as useful

Akabane 2009/2/19 06:24
kasasagi, have you chosen Akabane because its in a good location and easy to get to? Would it be better for a tourist than Ikebukuro?

... 2009/2/19 08:48
If you like an early start to your days, I don't recommend Akabane because it puts you into one of the worst streams of morning commuters in Tokyo. Trains from Akabane into central Tokyo are extremely crowded before 9am, meaning that on weekday you would either have to join the masses or do not start your activities until after 9am.
by Uji rate this post as useful

For Japan Visitor... 2009/2/19 09:51
Seriously, book a room at one of the Toyoko Inn Ikebukuro locations now or you will get nothing (especially if you need a double or twin). Toyoko Inn is very popular, and as you have already found, this is why the other locations have already sold out. Ikebukuro is a good location, yes the station is a bit of a zoo, but the location is the best after the ones that are already gone.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

:-( 2009/2/20 04:30
Disaster! Was going to book a room at Ikebukuro but I can't get all the days I want at either hotels. Asakusa ones are out too.
:-(

I would like to book something this weekend ideally. Would anyone know if these 2 locations would be good:

Oimachi-eki
Kamata Higashi-guchi

They seem to be near a JR station. Would this mean its good for JR rail pass holders?

May have to look at a non-toyoko-inn hotel after all this!

Thanks.

. 2009/2/20 06:53
Get the Oimachi-eki location if you can, it is one stop off the Yamanote loop line, but closer to central Tokyo than Kamata. This a new hotel and nice if you like trains, the Shinkansen yard is a few blocks from the hotel. Your National JR Rail Pass will be good on any JR line.

One other idea is to split your stay, if possible, and stay more central for part of your trip. It is something I do to explore Tokyo.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

. 2009/2/23 06:45
Thanks for that, RobBeer. I'm now ready to book! :-)

reply to this thread