Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

last day Tokyo 2009/2/15 09:45
We will be staying at the Shinagawa Prince in early April, with a JR Pass and possibly a Suica card for subways/other rail lines.
We have 2 days pretty well sorted with other commitments.
We have an interest in Edo period history, gardens, and ukiyo-e prints.
We will already have been to Meiji Shrine/Ota museum/Ueno area and Tokyo National Museum/Tsukiji/Hama Rikyu/Asakusa/Ginza/Roppongi/Sengakuji either on this trip or previously
For our one free last day, (a Tuesday) how feasible is it to attempt:
1. walk to Shinagawa Tokkaido Post historic street; return to station(? by Keihan train)
2. Tokyo Edo Museum;
3. Fukugawa Edo Museum and Kiyosumi Tien gardens;
4. Jimbocho area for looking for ukiyo-e prints
5. Koishikawa Korakuen gardens
6. Imperial Palace east gardens to Nijubashi bridge
Given it is likely not all is possible and given what we will already have seen, could we please have some advice as to relative merits/possible deletions?
With many grateful thanks

by fmj  

Anyone?? 2009/2/16 05:05
Anyone with advice?? Please???
by fmj rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/16 08:45
Kiyosumi Teien and Korakuen gardens are always a delight to me :)

Fukagawa Edo Museum was a fun place to be - if you are interested in soaking in a bit of old-time downtown, down-to-earth Edo times. But I recall someone saying (sorry if I'm wrong) there was not much English signage/explanation. I have not been to Tokyo Edo Museum so I cannot say anything, but this one seems to be far more extensive than the Fukagawa one.

Time-wise, you could do 3 in half a day and maybe 4 and 5 in another half day - but for 4., you would want to look up stores in advance.

By the way, you say you have JR Pass; that's for traveling to other cities, correct? The reason why I ask is because all you are going to is Tokyo, the pass does not pay off at all.
by AK rate this post as useful

elsewhere 2009/2/16 09:49
Thanks heaps AK: re JR Pass: we have 2 weeks, Narita to Hiroshima and back, with Kanazawa as well, so JR Pass for that mostly, but thought we might get a Suica card for subways convenience in Tokyo as I think we will use up about 1500y in the 3 days..still working that one out though so may just do individual trips
Thanks for your advice...may nix Fukugawa Edo due to time, so that will do in Kiyosumi Tien as well I think..I was going on the recommendations of the DK Eyewitness guide book for shops in Jimbocho (found the reference when looking up Koishikara Korakuen)..now have a better idea of what's achievable..many many thanks

other option 2009/2/16 10:14
If you go to Kiyosumi Teien,why not go to see Tomioka Hachimangu shirine in Monzennakacho. It's one station next from Kiyosumi by Tokyo Metro. It is famouse shrine in Fukagawa.
by tangerina (guest) rate this post as useful

OK 2009/2/16 11:35
That sounds great..may nix Jimbocho (saves money) and Korakuen, and concentrate the day on the east sumida.......lots to think about..many thanks

reply to this thread