Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Long coat now in japan? 2009/2/22 01:49

It's my first winter hoilday. I'll be there from the 25thfeb til 11th march. But I'm told that it really isn't that cold now by my japanese friend so i don't need thermal wear. But i just want to be sure.

I own a down jacket and a fleece jacket. Is it enough,on top of my tshirt and jeans? Do i need to get a long coat? I'm also thinking of cotton leggings paired with skirt and boots. It looks great.. But im just afraid i'll start shivering, although the japanese girls seem ok with it.

Thanks!

by lily (guest)  

... 2009/2/22 09:00
It depend on where in Japan you are heading. Hokkaido, northern Tohoku, the Sea of Japan coast and higher elevations come with very cold temperatures. Okinawa is around 20 degrees. In between (where most major cities are located, including Tokyo and Osaka) temperatures can be double digit, but they can also fall to around freezing.
by Uji rate this post as useful

tokyo kyoto koriyama 2009/2/22 11:58
I'll just be going tokyo and kyoto and Koriyama.

I know its a little colder in koriyama. But i'm there for just one night.So ill bulk up a little more.

So cotton leggings with skirt will work in tokyo and kyoto?

by lily (guest) rate this post as useful

skirt 2009/2/22 12:39
I am pretty sensitive to the cold but I am usually ok in leggings and a skirt in Tokyo in this season, as long as I have a warm coat/jacket on. You may feel a bit chilly if it's windy. If you are from a very warm climate then you might freeze in a skirt- daily low temps are still not much above zero degrees.

You probably won't need a fleece and a down jacket, unless the fleece is a very thin one. If you have short sleeves on under either the fleece or the down jacket your arms may feel cold- I recommend long sleeved tops for under your jackets.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/2/22 13:03
It also might depend on what kind of climate you are used to (where you are from) as well as your age range. Teenagers are quite fine showing bare thighs, while as you get older you can't tolerate without covering up.

But generally speaking, in the past, posters have suggested that it would be convenient if you bring along a lot of thin clothes and wear layers of them. It would be easier to adjust, and when you are warm, thin clothing would be easier to carry around.

Btw, scarves and gloves are handy items that are easy to carry/pack and yet gets you warm or cool in an instant. Also, keep in mind that if you're in Tokyo, you can always go shopping.
by Uco, Tokyo-er in a long coat (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread