Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suica Card/Transport/Trains in Tokyo 2009/2/22 14:51
Hi all,

I have some questions about transport within Tokyo... hope you can help me out!

1. When travelling by Keisei limited express from Narita to Nippori station, do you have to transfer at Aoto station or does it go straight to Nippori?

2. Is Narita-Keisei station a far walk from Narita airport? Where can I buy a Suica/Passmo card in Narita airport?

3. I understand that the Suica/Passmo cards cover most of the (or is it all) of the rail/subway lines in and out of Tokyo? Is travel to and from Chidoricho station (Tokyu Ikegami line) covered as well? I'm staying around that area. Are there any lines within Tokyo that are not covered?

4. Re: when transferring between systems - I read somewhere on this forum that you have to use orange transfer gates to exit. So for example if I'm transferring from one line to another: JR Yamanote line to Tokyu Ikegami line at Gotanda station… I should only exit using orange transfer gates?

5. Used either Hyperdia/Jorudan sites to find the fastest/cheapest route from Shinjuku to Asakusa… results came out that I'm supposed to depart from ''Shinsenjuku station''… is that within Shinjuku station itself? If not, how do I get myself there?

Sorry, I'm just a little intimidated by the complicated network of train/subway lines, so am asking a lot of questions to make sure I'm not wandering around like a lost lamb in Tokyo!

Thanks in advance. :)
by rayeraye  

... 2009/2/22 23:09
When travelling by Keisei limited express from Narita to Nippori station, do you have to transfer at Aoto station or does it go straight to Nippori?

No transfer is required. The trains are direct.

Is Narita-Keisei station a far walk from Narita airport?

Yes, about a 2 hour walk. But there are also stations in the terminal buildings of the airport. The stations are called "Narita Airport" (Terminal 1) and "Airport Terminal 2" (Terminal 2)

Where can I buy a Suica/Passmo card in Narita airport?

At vending machines in the railway stations.

I understand that the Suica/Passmo cards cover most of the (or is it all) of the rail/subway lines in and out of Tokyo?

Yes, that is right.

Is travel to and from Chidoricho station (Tokyu Ikegami line) covered as well?

Yes.

Are there any lines within Tokyo that are not covered?

Shinkansen and express trains, which require an express supplement.

Re: when transferring between systems - I read somewhere on this forum that you have to use orange transfer gates to exit.

No. Only in some special cases, for example, when transferring between the Ginza and Hanzomon Line at Mitsukoshi-mae Station, can you save a few yen by passing through dedicated gates. However, these special cases are very few in number, and you are unlikely to encounter them. Usually, if you tranefer between systems, you just pass through any gate.

So for example if I'm transferring from one line to another: JR Yamanote line to Tokyu Ikegami line at Gotanda station… I should only exit using orange transfer gates?

No, any gate is okay. I do not think that there are even any orange gates at Gotanda Station.

results came out that I'm supposed to depart from ''Shinsenjuku station''… is that within Shinjuku station itself?

It is spelled Shinsen-shinjuku. It is one of many stations inside the Shinjuku Station complex, located in the basement, quite a long walk from the other platforms of Shinjuku Station. I recommend to take the JR Chuo Line and Ginza Subway Line via Kanda Station, instead.

If not, how do I get myself there?

Follow the signs. Almost everything is bilingual.
by Uji rate this post as useful

correct/don't worry 2009/2/23 05:21
Uji is absolutly correct: everything is bilingual: English signage is everywhere, so truly, don't stress, and don't be afraid to ask any station officer for assistance..you'll have a great time, and be amazed at how easy it all is
by fmj rate this post as useful

thank you! 2009/2/23 10:28
Thanks very much for your answers. It really helps. :)
by rayeraye rate this post as useful

. 2009/2/23 15:19
I've ridden the Keisei Limited Express many times, and it depends on which train they are using at that time, sometimes they are using older style trains which might not have automatic announcements, so announcements will be in Japanese only. However you shouldn't really worry about this part, because Nippori is one station before the last station, and because trains run on time, just look at your watch to see what time you are supposed to arrive, also in the case of onboard annocuments being in Japanese, just listen to the Japanese annoucments.

Listen for "tsu gi wa, Nippori" which means "next is nippori". Also station signs outside the train will be translated into English.

Again I'm not trying to make you worry, just don't be caught off guard if they are running one of the older train sets.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

tsu gi wa nippori 2009/2/23 20:15
Hi there,

Thanks for the reassurance. I understand very basic/beginner level Japanese, and can read hiragana/katakana, so I'm hoping everything will be ok when I get there!
by rayeraye rate this post as useful

reply to this thread