Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shinkansen ticket questions 2009/2/23 00:25
Hi there,

I got some questions about a shinkansen ticket.
I have been to Japan before and used a railpass before so it's all familliar.

the problem is :

I'm visiting Japan again in april and a friend of mine who is working on a 1 year working holliday visa plans to go traveling with me.

He cannot get the railpass cause he has a 1 year working holliday visa.

What i am trying to find out is :

We are planning to go from tokyo to Hakata and prefer a stopover in Kyoto or Hiroshima.
does this automaticly mean he has to buy seperate tickets or is there something like a ticket from tokyo all the Way to Hakata with a stopover (for 3 days) somewhere in between.
2nd.
are the prices stated on : http://grace.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi still correct.

by Tinyworld (guest)  

... 2009/2/23 08:56
does this automaticly mean he has to buy seperate tickets or is there something like a ticket from tokyo all the Way to Hakata with a stopover (for 3 days) somewhere in between.
2nd.

Yes, if you buy a base fare ticket from Tokyo to Hakata, it will be valid for seven days and allows unlimited stop overs along the route, but no backtracking.

Furthermore, if you buy a round trip ticket between Tokyo and Hakata, it will be valid for 14 days (I believe) and will be discounted by ten percent.

The surcharges for shinkansen, however, have to be purchased separately for each train ride.

General ticket rules are explained in a little bit more details here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_001.html

Note also that the Fukuoka-Tokyo route is one of the world's busiest air routes. And the competition results in very inexpensive air fares of around 10,000 yen if booked in advance. For the return trip, your friend might consider taking the plane instead the train.

are the prices stated on : http://grace.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi still correct.

Yes, they are accurate. Most misunderstandings regarding Hyperdia stem from a misunderstanding on how to use it, e.g. entering wrong station names (e.g. Fukuoka vs. Hakata) or not correctly understanding the badly labeled fares.
by Uji rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/2/23 17:54
Thank you for your reply.
It's to bad the Hyperdia site doesn't show prices for the hikari bullet train cause that is what i'm stuck to with my railpass.

does that differ much from the prices compare to the Nozomi?

by Tinyworld (guest) rate this post as useful

Hikari on hyperdia 2009/2/23 18:07
On the second frame you can select
Unreserved seat
airline
and
exepts NOZOMI
This will show you hikari connections and prices.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/23 23:59
As mentioned by Peter, if you select the "except nozomi" option, Hyperdia will show hikari connections and prices.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2009/2/24 00:05
does that differ much from the prices compare to the Nozomi?

You will see, not very much.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/2/24 04:01
haha my mistake

i tried excluding the Nozomi but allt hat came up where airflights.

after disabling the airflights i found it.

thanks alot
just shows how usefull Japan-Guide.com is.
by Tinyworld (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread