Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Summer Tour in Furano Area in Jul 09 2009/2/23 23:49
Hi Uji

We went to Hokkaido in winter this year (late Jan to mid Feb). We had the chance to stay in Biei for 2 nights ad It is a lovely place. We want to see Biei again in summer.

This time we want to cover Biei, Furano and Bihaushi for the lavendar in July.

1. How many days do you recommend? (we will take a easy and carefree holiday, no rush type). We want to see flowers as well as visit farms (eg Tomita Farm), cheese factory etc

2. Is driving the best way to get around in Biei and Furano? Do we rent our car at Biei? We will fly to Sapporo and take a train to Asahikawa and the connect local train to Furano area.

3. What is the daily rental car charge?

4. Are there any sheep farms in Furano or Biei?

5. I was told by the pension owner in Biei that last year lavendar's full bloom was in second week of Jyly. When should I plan? mid July or early July?

6. Are there any other places in Eastern Hokkaido that we should go for flowers?

Please advise.

Seems like the JR Hokkaido is increasing its price in April 09. Just saw it in the web site.

Thanks for your help.

Irene
by Irene (guest)  

... 2009/2/24 00:07
I have identical plans.

How many days do you recommend?

I recommend two or three days.

Is driving the best way to get around in Biei and Furano?

Yes!

Do we rent our car at Biei? We will fly to Sapporo and take a train to Asahikawa and the connect local train to Furano area.

I recommend to rent the car from Asahikawa or Sapporo.

What is the daily rental car charge?

Typically around 4000 to 10000 yen depending on car type. Some basic information:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2024.html

I was told by the pension owner in Biei that last year lavendar's full bloom was in second week of Jyly. When should I plan? mid July or early July?

I think you should be save going around July 10. But you can never be 100% sure with weather and flower related predictions.

Seems like the JR Hokkaido is increasing its price in April 09. Just saw it in the web site.

Yes, several of the discount tickets, such as the Hokkaido Free Pass will experience a price increase. Regular fares, however, remain the same, I believe.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Summer Tour in Furano Area in Jul 09 2009/2/24 00:18
Hi Uji
You mean you are also planning similar trip in Jul 09.

So 2 days in each place? Able to cover everything?

Any other place we should consider?

How long does it take to drive to Biei from Asahikawa?

Thanks

Irene
by Irene (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/24 08:41
Yes, I am planning to be there, too.

So 2 days in each place?

Two days for the whole Furano/Biei area (one day Furano - one day Biei) should be enough. If you want to travel at a slow pace or see particularly many sights, I recommend to add a day or two.

How long does it take to drive to Biei from Asahikawa?

About 30 minutes.

Lavendar's bloom 2009/2/26 06:34
What about July 20th - is it going to be to late for the Lavendar's bloom?
by M (guest) rate this post as useful

Summer Tour in Furano Area in Jul 09 2009/2/26 23:57
Hi Uji

Besides Furano and Biei area, any other areas I can cover?

I saw those colorful strips of flowers in brochures. Where could I locate the place?

Thanks
Irene
by Irene (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/27 07:27
Besides Furano and Biei area, any other areas I can cover?

I personally am not familiar with other flower related places in the area, but there are probably some more. Japanese people love flowers and flower parks.

A nearby non-flower-related sight that might be worth visiting is Daisetsuzan National Park:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6775.html

What about July 20th - is it going to be to late for the Lavendar's bloom?

I am not sure. But my understanding is that the lifespan of lavender flowers is relatively long and I think you can see them most of the summer.

reply to this thread