Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido - fun place? 2009/2/24 11:09
Hi vistors & friends,
First time visiting Japan from 7 to 25/5/09. For the last five days (20-25/5), I am considering visit Hokkaido (not sure yet).

Have you visited Hokkaido? If yes, could you please tell me your experience about Hokkaido?
Where are the places that you will recommand as "must see"?

I read "Sapporo cherry usually comes in April, with Maruyama Park, Sapporo and the 5 km Sakura Avenue at Shizunai, east of Tomakomai the most crowded sakura spots. Then the cherry front moves north and east, so that in late May and even June wild cherry can be seen on the mountains."

I will miss the cherry blossm in April. However, if I go to Hokkaido, will I see cherry blossm late in May?

Thanks!
Kylie

by KylieChan  

Time issues 2009/2/24 16:46
Kylie, I think that it has already been pointed out that Hokkaido is a long way to go without some specific goal. Skiing or snowsport for instance.Cherry blossoms can be seen elsewhere and if recent years have been any indication the timing might other than when expected. I suggest that you concentrate your efforts in to a smaller area if this is your first trip. The Tokyo and Kansai regions have a lot to offer for the first trip, don't waste your precious time and resources trying to do too much and missing things as a result.
by RodW rate this post as useful

Wild Cherry 2009/2/24 21:15
Wild cherry trees in the mountains produce limited numbers of flowers that are pretty but not terribly showy. And the trees are generally single and isolated. They are quite different from what most people associate with cherry blossom season in Japan. So although you might indeed catch a few as late as June in Hokkaido, it is not worth traveling there just for that. Technically it would be cherry blossoms, yes, but in all likelihood you would be disappointed.
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

Fun Place? 2009/2/25 04:53
If you only have 5 days for Hokkaido I would suggest flying to Chitose airport near Sapporo instead of the train. If traveling from Tokyo you will use up 2 full days minimum traveling to and from Hokkaido by train. Here are some fun things to visit or stay :

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6750.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2163.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6725.html
by Steve (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks to all respondants! 2009/2/27 15:44
Thanks for all your answers! Especially to Rod W. As a visitor (especially borned in HK), I like to travel as much as possible. I am so glad that I can ask questions on this website and obtain valuable advices. I will take Rod's advice, not to waste time too much in travelling, better concentrate on smaller areas. Maybe, I will visit Hokkaido next trip (not sure when). Also, thanks to all other people response to my questions! Kylie
by KylieChan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread