Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working and living in Kyoto? 2009/2/24 16:56
I was wondering what the work situation in Kyoto is like these days and if anyone might have some advice for me.

I was hoping to move to Kyoto sometime between May-August with the intention of staying at least 1-2 years to study martial arts (near Kita-ku).

My hope is that I can work 20-30 hours a week, with some private lessons on the side. My hope being that I will be able to make a living wage, while training as much as possible at night and weekends.

However, between economic troubles and the fact that many Kyoto ESL jobs are not advertised, I'm feeling a little stuck.

I have traveled to Japan 7 times, but this is the first time I've considered going for work.

I have a degree in Art History with a minor in Japanese language, and I will become TESOL certified by the end of April.

Any advice?; ideas on school that I should target?; best way to approach them while overseas?; what my chances of securing employment before arrival?

Thank you for you time and consideration! Yours,

Philip
by Phil2Musashi  

first question of all.... 2009/2/24 17:18
...on what kind of visa are you going to stay in japan for 1-2 years?
you wrote that you are going to study martial arts.
is it a cultural visa?
or a student-visa?

because its very important, because with those visa you aren`t allowed to wok at all.
you can apply for a work permit, but then you can work just for a certain hours per week...
by dotcom (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/24 17:26
The question would be whether any English school is willing to hire and sponsor any new teacher from outside Japan for a work-permitting visa under the current economic conditions (they might prefer people who are already in Japan on some other visa or Instructor visa already); if they do, they would want you to work full-time, and that can be real full-time, even into the evenings.

Check out Dave's ESL Cafe for teaching job situation:
http://www.eslcafe.com/
by AK rate this post as useful

Kyoto is popular 2009/2/24 17:38
Bear in mind that a lot of the people coming to Japan want to live in Kyoto- that makes it even harder to find jobs there, especially right now.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Visa details 2009/2/25 09:12
Thanks everyone.

To answer Dotcom:

I was hoping to find employment with a school that might offer me a Certificate Of Eligibility (CEO) to obtain a regular work Visa.

I could come on the Working Holiday Visa, and just try and find employment whilst I'm there, but I hear you are more heavily taxed on that Visa. True?

Wow, I didn't realize what a popular place Kyoto was! Until I came into contact with my dojo a couple of years back, I always thought I would live in Tokyo if I ever decided to move.
by Phil2Musashi rate this post as useful

working holiday 2009/2/25 09:47
no, I am working full time on my working holiday visa.
but you have to keep in mind that this expire after one year, exept you are australien...

and no, japan welcome not everyone who is thinking "oh, japan is so wonderful, I want to live and work there for some years".
I don`t want to sound mean, just be honest.

and epsecially in this world economic situation English-school search for workers who have already a visa.

but maybe you should really try the WH thing. It`s cool.
by dotcom (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread