Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Food in Japan? 2009/2/25 10:27
I know the food in Japan is very different from the food in America. I was wondering what types of very common American foods will not be found in Japan at all.

Things like bread, butter, milk, and cereal. Are these common or buyable? What about ketchup, mustard, mayonaise, and spaghetti suace?

I'm sure some of them are uncommon, but are they impossible to find?
by undistinguishablefire  

... 2009/2/25 12:05
Things like bread, butter, milk, and cereal. Are these common or buyable? What about ketchup, mustard, mayonaise, and spaghetti sauce?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. And yes, yes, yes, and yes again. All readily available.
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/25 13:13
As AK mentioned, the answers to your products in question would be yes, yes, yes, yes, yes (and however many else I'm missing haha). I'm trying to think of a common product you wouldn't be able to find here... nope can't think of any. Maybe Mexican foods? Even those though, look hard and you'll find places.
by Bean (guest) rate this post as useful

cereals 2009/2/25 14:08
yeah, you can find cereals here but there are very exensive and not so much to choose from...I miss all the chocolate things...yeah, I know, we have those chocolate frosties...but that`s not enough.

oh yes, I found something that you cannot buy in japan.
licorice

now you can get some at the Ikea stores..but just there!
by dotcom (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/2/25 16:16
Things like bread, butter, milk, and cereal. Are these common or buyable? What about ketchup, mustard, mayonaise, and spaghetti suace?

All of that plus soda pepsi , coke you name it.

Though cola comes in 1.5L 2L is rarer to find.

Pretty much most things you can find. My market has all those aforementioned items.

If you think about it, it isn't all too different, basic ingredients are there, recipes are different that's the difference.

by John (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/2/25 16:22
Candy, bread (lots of selections, I would dare say more selection of different types of bread then I had back in the USA!, coffee, frozen foods, ice cream, pasta sauce, pizza, popcorn, ketchup, chicken are all available.
*Basically* speaking, it's not all radical in terms of basic stuff you can find.

Japanese food and cuisine is more then just fish and noodles.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread