Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transportation in Japan 2009/2/25 22:59
What's the difference between ord & green car of JR pass
by Joy Lim (guest)  

... 2009/2/26 08:17
The green version lets you ride "green cars" (first class) in addition to ordinary cars.

The ordinary version lets you ride only ordinary cars.
by Uji rate this post as useful

green not worth it 2009/2/26 11:42
In my humble opinion the green car surcharge is not worth it: the ordinary cars are amazing: spacious and comfortable.
by fmj rate this post as useful

GReeeeN cars 2009/2/26 11:52
Well, I wouldn't go as far to say that ordinary cars are amazing and spacious, especially if you have some luggage with you that doesn't fit in the overhead storage but that being said, stick with the ordinary cars, it's more than good enough!
by Bean (guest) rate this post as useful

Ordinary VS Green (First) Class 2009/2/27 04:44
I really depends how and when you are going to ride the trains.

If you are going to mostly ride the reserve seats on Shinkansen long distance high speed trains, ordinary will be just OK and not worth spending extra. However, if you are taking these trains in the rush hour morning and evening traffic, sometimes, there are no more seats, and you wish you had green car pass.
Some rapid trains in major cities have green cars where you have free seatings. These are shorter trains like the Rapid Airporter from Narita Airport (not NEX). Ordinary on these commuter trains mean you will be most likely standing for about 50 minutes from airport to Tokyo station.

On the Sanyo Shinkansen, west of Osaka, most Shinkansen trains have eliminated the green cars. These trains are called Hikari Railstars. If you are doing most of your traveling in west of Osaka, then I don't think you need Green pass.

I always get the "green" railpass because I used shorter commuter trains a lot and travel mostly around Tokyo and Chiba.
by chadpeterson rate this post as useful

reply to this thread