Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

16 day itinerary - Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka 2009/2/26 11:07
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I would appreciate some guidance with my planned trip to Japan. The time which I plan to visit is during May and is for 16 and a bit days.

I plan to spend a week or so in Tokyo and would like to see Kyoto and it's surroundings including Osaka and Takayama on the way. Can this be done with a weekly JR rail pass?

Also, I have been told I should make the effort to go and see Hiroshima and Miyajima, would this require more than the weekly rail pass? Should I stay a night over and do this during my time in Kyoto?

Here is my rough itinerary, please feel free to make suggestions if you feel I haven't made enough time for certain spots.

I have included various things to see that I have heard about in each city, but haven't really looked into how much time is needed for each of them, so some days might look a little unrealistic. :)

Tokyo
Days 1-3 (Tokyo) - Tuesday 12th
* Shibuya
* Ura-Harajuku
* Akihabara
* Odaiba?

Day 4 (Tokyo) - Saturday 16th
* Sanja Matsuri

Day 5-6 (Tokyo)
* Ghibli Museum-Kamakura
* DisneySea

Day 7 (Tokyo-Takayama) - Tuesday 19th
* Activate rail pass (7days)
* travel to Takayama and sightsee for rest of day
* Shirakawa-go
* Stay overnight at a gassho-zukuri house

Day 8 (Takayama-Kyoto)
* Hida Kokubanji
* Jinya-mae market
* Takayama Jinya Hirata Kinekan
* Folk Art Museum
* Hida Folk Archeological museum
* Travel to Kyoto in the evening

Day 9 (Kyoto)
* Travel to Kyoto early
Sightsee

Day 10 (Kyoto-Nara-Kyoto)
* Day trip to Nara

Day 11 (Kyoto-Osaka) - Saturday 23rd
* Sightsee in Kyoto
* Travel to Osaka
* Perhaps go out at night

Day 12 (Osaka/Kyoto?/Hiroshima?)
* ??

Day 13 (Osaka)
* Stay in Osaka
* Travel to Tokyo on Shinkansen (last day of rail pass)

Day 14 (Tokyo)
* Day trip to Hakone, have onsen

Day 15 (Tokyo)
* Free to do whatever we like, do some shopping with any left over cash

Day 16 (Tokyo)

I just noticed perhaps on day 12 and 13 might be a good time to slot in the visit to Hiroshima. What do you all think? Any advice and guidance is much appreciated.
by dancube  

14 day pass 2009/2/26 11:39
If you are definitely going to Hiroshima I would consider a 14 day Pass: you can then use the Narita Express back to the Airport, and the Yamanote and other JR lines in Tokyo (eg to Kamakura, or Nikko if you were going there as well).Itinerary looks doable though. Have fun.
by fmj rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/26 12:05
an idea
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400_tokyo_14.html

and you can omit some destinations when you wanna stay in Tokyo longer.
by Ts (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread