Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Get Connected with Internet in Japan 2009/2/26 12:48
I will be living in Japan for 5 months soon and my apartment is not hooked up for internet. I have done some research but the plans are strange. J-Com offers cable with good speeds but talks about extra fees for wireless. Is this for renting a router? It also charges more for extra IP addresses.

Can I just get hooked up with a land line and buy my own router? If I ignore the extra IP thing can my roommates and I still just connect through the router. LOL thats how I do it here in the states.

Thanks
by Jonny (guest)  

... 2009/2/26 17:06
extra fees for wireless. Is this for renting a router?

The extra charge is for a wireless transmitter that goes into your router.

It also charges more for extra IP addresses.

I believe that this is standard the world around.

Can I just get hooked up with a land line and buy my own router? If I ignore the extra IP thing can my roommates and I still just connect through the router.

Yes and no. It depends on the specific hardware set your provider uses. I'm currently having this same problem setting up new hardware from my internet provider.

Check out this service. It should be very helpful to you.

http://bbapply.com
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

What hardware would it work with then? 2009/2/26 17:18
What hardware would it work with then?

Fiber optics?
by Jonny (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread