Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

3 weeks itinerary 2009/2/28 00:49
The tentative itinerary of our third trip to Japan is as follows:

26 March (TH) Earrival in Tokyo
27 March (FR) ETokyo
28 March (SA) ETokyo
29 March (SO) ETokyo
30 March (MO) EKyoto (program according to weather and cherry blossom front)
31 March (TU) EKyoto
1 April (WE) EKyoto
2 April (TH) EKyoto
3 April (FR) EKyoto; accommodation Osaka Namba Station area

4 April (SA) E2-day-trip by public transport (?) to Ise-Shima (Kagurai-sai Maturi, landscape) or to Hiroshima-Ken (Miyashima, Onomichi, Tomo-no-ura) or to Miyashima & Naoshima

5 April (SO) Esame as 4 April; accommodation Osaka Namba Station area

6 April (MO) ENara or Yoshino or Kyoto; accommodation Kyoto
7 April (TU) EKyoto
8 April (WE) EKyoto
9 April (TH) EKanazawa (old town, Kenroku-en, 21th Century Museum)
10 April (FR) EKanazawa

11 April (SA) E2-day-trip by car to Noto Peninsula
12 April (SO) Esame as 11 April; return to Kanazawa (car return)

13 April (MO) EShirakawa-go
14 April (TU) ETakayama (Matsuri)
15 April (WE) ETakayama; travel to Tokyo or travel to Matsumoto
16 April (TH) EKamakura (Matsuri) or Matsumoto & travel to Tokyo
17 April (FR) Eend of trip

Please review this itinerary. Any ideas and comments?

We could not get decent and reasonably priced accommodation for the weekend April 4/5 in Kyoto. Nevertheless, the 2-day-trip should not be a mere stopgap solution, but as nice and diverse as possible. What is the best option?

Kamakura (temples, walks, matsuri) or Matsumoto (old town, castle, ukiyo-e museum) - what is the best option for 15/16 April?

Thanks for your help.
by Tokaido 2007  

... 2009/3/2 15:31
Please review this itinerary. Any ideas and comments?

It looks like a very pleasant itinerary to me. I see no problems with it.

As for the non-decided days, I recommend to make a decision based on your personal interest. They all sound like attractive options.
by Uji rate this post as useful

My suggestion 2009/3/8 14:20
I am glad you spend in Japan for long time. It depends on your interest, but If I were you I skip Kanazawa. (Kanazawa and Noto)Because it is a small city and similer to Kyoto. I recommend you to visit Shizuoka. Izu Peninsula. (Shimoda, West coart of Izu) Hakone is another option. You can see beautiful Mt. Fuji. I am sure you can enjoy different views from Kyoto and Tokyo.

http://www.shizuoka-cvb.or.jp/
by misstoko rate this post as useful

side trip to Shizuoka prefecture 2009/3/11 02:25
Hi Misstoko,

your recommendation surprised me because Izu peninsula seemed too distant from our Kyoto / Takayama route. Nevertheless, I did some research and guess what! – we might follow your recommendation and go to Shizuoka prefecture.

How about this:

9 April (TH) - Kyoto to Mishima by train. (Rental car for 4 days.) Go to Mt. Fuji area. Overnight stay in Fuji Five Lakes area or in Shuzen-ji

10 April (FR) - from Fuji Five Lakes area or Shuzen-ji via Heda and Dogashima to Shimoda

11 April (SA) - Shimoda

12 April (SO) - along Jogasaki Coast to Mishima or Atami (car return). Shinkansen to Nagoya.

13 April (MO) - Nagoya to Shirakawa-go

Does this make sense ??
by Tokaido 2007 rate this post as useful

My suggestion 2009/3/13 00:17
Hi, you said you suprized my suggestion. I did forgot you planned to visit Shirakawago and Takayama after. Actuary Shizuoka is good to visit on the way to Tokyo.

But anyway, your Izu plan works for Japanese traveler. But I worried you drive by yourself during weekend. It might be crowded at this time of season.
West coast of Izu is very good place to drive. I think it is better drive in weekdays.
If you are able to leave Kyoto one day earlier, how about this?

8th(Wed) Kyoto-Mishima-Shuzenji
9th(Thurs) Shuzenji-Heda-Dogasaki(or Matsuzaki)
10th(Fri) Dogasaki(or Matsuzaki)-Shimoda
11th(Sat)Shimoda-Izu kogen
12th(Sun)Izu-Atami-Nagoya

You may think 5 days are too much, but you will have a lot to see.
You may use a rent car. But during weekend it might better to use train.
From Shimoda to Atami you can take train.

But in in this plan, problem is accommodation.
You seems you checked Minshuku already, but it might be hard for you to stay there. Because Minsyuku is private run inn so it is hard to find Engish speaking people, beside all things is probably Japanese style. If you do not mind Japanese style toilet and foods and rooms, it is going to be OK. You can probably find Minshuku in Dogasaki and Matsuzaki without reservation if you request nothing. There are also hotels which have western style rooms in Shimoda and Dogasaki. But I am not sure about Shuzenji and Izu kogen.

If you do not want take all these stress just stick around Shimoda for several days.
Ask what you can see in Shimoda visitors breau. I think their staff understand English.

Shimoda Hotel 2009/3/18 20:25
Hi, I found a hotel that have vacant rooms in April.
They seems they have English speaking staff.

http://www.baykuro.co.jp/english.html

Ryokan in Shimoda 2009/3/18 21:31
One more ryokan in Shimoda
with English speaking staff

http://shimoda-yamatokan.co.jp/e_plan/index.html

reply to this thread