Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is a visa needed to teach in Japan 2009/3/2 10:30
Hello, do you need a visa to teach in Japan? If so, is it possible to get away with not having a visa? Does the government check up on this? I have a passport but no Visa. I heard you can work in Japan for 90 days without a visa but I plan on staying there for a year. Is it hard to get a visa?
by Joseph (guest)  

no, no and no 2009/3/2 11:56
I don`t know from who you`ve heard that you can work 90 days without a visa.
probably you mean the tourist visa but than you aren`t allowed to work.
you`ll have to get a real work visa or a working holiday visa if you don`t have any plans to study by yourself in japan.

and yes, it`s very risky to work without a permission. And I don`t think that you`ll find someone to hire you. the police often controls places where foreigners work.
I`m not kidding!
pure reality!
by dotcom (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/2 12:32
Hello, do you need a visa to teach in Japan?

yes

If so, is it possible to get away with not having a visa?

no

Does the government check up on this?

yes, and be wary of a company that would hire you without one, as you are in a terrible position to be taken advantage of. If the company is comfortable enough to hire you illegally, then it wouldn't be a big step for them to decide not to pay you, or short your pay for instance, with you having absolutely no recourse.

I have a passport but no Visa. I heard you can work in Japan for 90 days without a visa but I plan on staying there for a year.

no, you can't. And if you overstay your visa you will be arrested and deported when trying to leave the country.

Is it hard to get a visa?

Yes and no, depends on where you are from. With a bachelor's degree it is much easier. If you are coming from a country with a Working Holiday Visa then you may be able to take advantage of that.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/2 12:36
the police often controls places where foreigners work

Immigration, not the police, issues work visas.

Working without work visa 2009/3/2 16:36
Japan, though a free country, is very well controlled.

No way should you try to work without a Visa. It is not true that you can work without a Visa for 90 days. You can stay in Japan for 90days without a visa as a tourist but never work.

Another thing I experienced in Japan when I used to live there. Any policeman can question anyone who looks like a foreigner for ID's. For tourist, it's passport. So if you are walking out of a company with other workers and look like one of them, a policeman can ask you if you work there. So you have to lie. But your co-workers know.. so... the police will ask your friends. If they lie they will go to jail. So what do you think they will say.. you can guess.

You will be immediate deported and you will barred from entering Japan ever again even just as a tourist.

I once was stopped by a police officer in Shibuya in Tokyo for no reason. I was only 17 years old. He ask me for either a passport or Alien registration card. I had neither. I only had my school ID. He took me to the nearest police station and called my father who had to go to the police with proper identification to release me. Then they asked my father to show his identification and he showed his work permit with his Alien Registration.
It is very well controlled place. Nothing to be scared like other countries. They are polite. They are just doing things according to the law. You will be deported next day.

Chad
by chadpeterson rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/2 16:39
I heard you can work in Japan for 90 days without a visa but I plan on staying there for a year.

If you are an American citizen or from another country where there is a visa waiver program, then you can STAY and TRAVEL in Japan for up to 90 days without a visa (the stamp you get in your passport is Temporary Visitor), but you cannot engage in paid work on this status at all.

Even for staying as a tourist, you cannot stay over 90 days. Please check the Ministry of Foreing Affairs website for visa details.
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/3 09:34
You will be immediate deported and you will barred from entering Japan ever again even just as a tourist.

You typically don't get a lifetime ban when deported, it will be more like 3-5 years depending on the situation.

You need a visa 2009/3/3 10:05
I don't think there is any country in the world where you can just go and work as and when you like unless you are a citizen of that country, or your country has a special agreement with that country. No-one can just go to Japan and work without a visa or citizenship- it is a crime to do so, and anyone who employed you to work illegally would also be committing a crime, so understandably there are not many people willing to risk employing illegals.

If you want to work here you need to qualify for a visa, like everyone else. All the information you need about that to get you started is here on this site
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread