Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Places in Japan that I should Not visit? 2009/3/2 12:29
I am a Canadian girl and know very little about Japan but will soon be visiting there soon, I was told about a few good places to visit and I want to see it all but If some one were to come to BC Canada I would tell them to be careful about places like skidrow any how my question is Are there any places in Japan that I shouldnt visit (rough or dangerous)?
by Demona (guest)  

no 2009/3/2 12:36
There are no place in a city of Japan too dangerous to visit, for sure.

So I'd advise you not to approch the top of active volcanos. XD
by Ts (guest) rate this post as useful

relax 2009/3/2 12:51
we walked everywhere and anywhere, and at all hours of the day and night, in Japan and at no time did we feel at all unsafe. Relax, do your research on places to actively go to see, and enjoy thjs wonderful country. We can't wait to get back in 5 weeks time.
by fmj rate this post as useful

Places not to visit in Japan 2009/3/2 13:58
Denoma,

They are right. There are really no really dangerous areas in Japan even in the largest cities like Tokyo and Osaka.

When I was about 13, my parents told me not to go to Kabukicho areas of Shinjuku. It is one area where there are many bars, strip clubs, cabarets, pachinko parlors, Turkish Bath and some prostitution. But even there, a woman can walk at night without danger. The only thing is that a Canadian girl may look different and a good humored Japanese drunken man might try to talk to you but they are just being drunk and innocent.

Chad
by chadpeterson rate this post as useful

been to japan many times 2009/3/3 03:13
Of course, like any other city/town in this planet, you have to be aware of your surroundings. There is no "bad" place per se except of course if you put yourself in that situation. Japan is generally safe, more than Canada I would say.

The subway scene during rush hour in Tokyo might scare you off if you are not used to sardine-like but monitored compactness.
by canadian girl (guest) rate this post as useful

Unsafe places in Japan 2009/3/3 03:54
The answers to the ladys question is quite a testament to what a safe county Japan is. I know that my country (USA) is a great country in most respects but I wish that we could tell a vistor to the US that there were no areas that a vistor would need to avoid.
by luck1223 rate this post as useful

.... 2009/3/3 07:40
If I were you, I'd avoid Kabukicho and Nagatacho. Both are filled with dodgy, dangerous characters.
by Kato (guest) rate this post as useful

Nagatocho 2009/3/3 08:12
Kato-san,

I thought nagatocho is where the goverenment offices were. Of course I never go there at night because nobody's there... everything closed. But is this area getting bad? Just curious.

Chad
by chadpeterson rate this post as useful

Dodgy types- like PM Aso? 2009/3/3 08:46
Haha, for anyone that is wondering, Nagatacho is the area of Tokyo where most of the Japanese government buildings are- the dodgy types there are politicians and bureaucrats (^-^)

As for safety, I agree there are no areas that need to be avoided. Use your common sense though- don't walk through parks at 3am by yourself etc, although this is probably one of the safest countries in the world in which to do so, nowhere is 100% safe.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

W. Ikebukuro 2009/3/3 11:31
In the months I spent in Japan, the only place I felt uncomfortable was West Ikebukuro once I walked about a mile in or so. Just around the train station is fine--there's a Denny's, too ;)--but I walked quite a bit into the city looking for a business office and the farther I got, the more run down the neighborhoods got and the more shady characters I saw.

Not really any reason for a tourist to be there, though, so...no worries!
by Max (guest) rate this post as useful

I'm from Calgary 2009/3/3 12:01
I felt safe all over Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto walking around day and night.

I was by myself, and only 19 years old. Doing it again in 5 weeks!

Like everyone else said, just be aware of your surroundings, use common sense etc...

Have a good trip!
by Nathan89 rate this post as useful

safe & easy to navigate 2009/3/3 12:30
As a frequent visitor to Japan, I would say it is a very very safe country to explore even to the most remote places. However, common sense prevails whenever we are on the road in different countries.
by tju (guest) rate this post as useful

Common sense will go a long way. 2009/3/3 17:46
No country is 100% safe, though Japan is pretty safe compared to most countries. As long as you use common sense and are aware of your surroundings you should be fine.

I went to Japan last summer just a few days after the Akihabara massacre occurred (a guy drove a truck into a pedestrian area of Akihabara, knocked some people down, then got out of the truck and went on a stabbing spree, killing several people). I was nervous upon hearing that, but made sure to be extra aware of my surroundings...I ended up feeling pretty safe for the most part. I did see a news report one night about a woman who slashed two people with a boxcutter at an Osaka station that I had been to earlier that day. I still felt safe in Osaka, though I never went out alone at night.

You don't neccessarily need to avoid any place, but if you are going to Kabukicho or maybe certain parts of Osaka I would advise that you don't do it alone. And use your common sense..if a place gives you a bad vibe, turn around and walk away.

Most likely the worst thing you will encounter are creepy old men trying to hit on you. They are usually harmless and will leave you alone if you firmly tell them no or ignore them.

by eli (guest) rate this post as useful

100% safe? 2009/3/14 07:20
Yep! Japan is a pretty safe place! I walked around Tokyo around 2 am (20 & 18 yrs old girls) and I felt totally safe!

But no place is 100% safe! Itz gotta be rare but I watched something on TV about a gaijin girl that was drugged and kidnapped at a bar in Tokyo. Not likely to happen, but oh so possible. So don't take any drinks from strangers and you'll probably be good. lol
by NeoRaye (guest) rate this post as useful

Just use common sense 2009/3/17 01:42
Like many already said, Japan is pretty safe, but it's still advised that you use your common sense.

The one place I felt a little uncomfortable at night was in Roppongi, where foreign man kept bothering me to go to strip clubs, and a couple of drunk guys where attacking some sign for a bar of something.

Nothing really unusual or specially dangerous mind, I just don't like such commotions as you find there at night.
by HugoB rate this post as useful

Roppongi 2009/3/18 18:41
I second Roppongi.
Apparently there have been quite a few instances of foreigners having their drinks spiked in Roppongi bars and their credit cards stolen/charged exorbitant amounts recently. You can read about it here:
http://www.japantoday.com/category/crime/view/us-embass...

I would say take extra care if you are going to be in Roppongi at night, especially if you will be drinking.
In my personal opinion, you wouldn't be missing out at all if you skipped the Roppongi night scene all together. Ebisu, Shibuya, and Shinjuku are all more fun.
During the day it's fine, though.

Just use common sense as you would anywhere in your home country and you should be just fine.
by hana (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/18 23:16
Anywhere in Japan is safe if you use COMMON SENSE, even Roppongi is safe if you use common sense.

Kabukicho gets more bad rap but really its not that bad, I must past it almost every night. Its more colorful to say then it is "dangerous".
by ExpressTrain rate this post as useful

Just use your common sense 2009/3/19 05:36
I think it really doesn't matter where you are just be aware of your surrounding.

Although Japan is much, much safer than many places in the US, I would not say it is totally safe every day of the year for every person. I grew up in Tokyo and as a youngster with a free spirit going here and there on my own all over Tokyo, I had several instances where things have happened or could have happened.
by rinshin rate this post as useful

reply to this thread