Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

hokkaido 2009/3/4 06:15
I'm planning a trip to Hokkaido this July. My plan is:
Day 1 – Chitose Airport – Lake Toya
Day 2 – Lake Toya –(o.n Hakodate)
Day 3 – Hakodate
Day 4 – Onuma Park
Day 5 – Noboribtsu (Hell Valley) + Shiraoi Ainu Museum (o.n Asahikawa)
(Using JR Hokkaido pass 4 day flexible – day 1)
Days 6 -8 Furno, Asahidake and Biei (o.n Wakkanai)
(Using the pass on the last day)
*If I take the late train from Asahikawa (around 7 PM) I'll arrive at Wakkanai just before 11. Are there any hotels or business hotels near the station where it's possible to Check in that late?
Days 9-11 Wakkanai, Rebun and Rishir
Day 12 – traveling from Rishiri to Abashiri. (day 3 of the pass)
*I got different timetable in Ekitan and Hyperdia (in English). Which site is more reliable?
Day 13 – Shiretoko
Day 14 – Abashiri (o.n Kushiro)
(day 4 of the pass).
Day 15 – Kushiro
Days 16-17 – Akan National Park
Days 18-21 – Sapporo

I would like to ask for your opinions about the itinerary especially if it's doable and not too fast.(it's somewhat faster than I usually travel but I had to make my trip shorter because I have a smaller budget …)
by M (guest)  

... 2009/3/4 15:32
It is a rather busy journey, indeed.

On day 4 I recommend to overnight in an onsen ryokan in Noboribetsu.

If I take the late train from Asahikawa (around 7 PM) I'll arrive at Wakkanai just before 11. Are there any hotels or business hotels near the station where it's possible to Check in that late?

Yes, there are several hotels where it should be no problem to check in around 11pm. For example, the Dormy Inn:
http://web.travel.rakuten.co.jp/portal/my/info_page_e.E...

I got different timetable in Ekitan and Hyperdia (in English). Which site is more reliable?

Both are equally reliable. Errors occur almost only due to mistakes by the user.

After visiting Shiretoko, you should first visit Akan National Park before proceeding to Kushiro.
by Uji rate this post as useful

JR Timetable 2009/3/10 20:28
If you are planning to use the train. Here is English timetable from JR Hokkaido.
http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/english/ttable/inde...
by Berny rate this post as useful

hokkaido 2009/3/15 06:13
Thank you Uji and Berny and sorry for the late response.
Eventually I've decided that the itinerary is too fast and it would be better to skip one of the areas: The Southern Area, Rishiri and Rebun or Abashiri and Shiretoko. I haven't decided which one and I'll choose according the hotels I'll be able to find.
Now I would like to ask if someone knows hotels outside the main cities, in places like Rishiri and Rebun Islands, Akan N.P and Shiretoko that agree to accommodate in July (=high season) foreign single travel and vegetarian (=has "sleep only" plan) tourist. (I know I'm asking a lotc). I've found some hotels but their websites are in Japanese. Does anybody tried to book through Japanese website from overseas or is it be better to send email or fax?

by M (guest) rate this post as useful

Onuma Park 2009/3/16 07:22
I recommend you to cut Onuma Park because I always hate the noisy music of the shops there.

There are almost no vegetable restaurants in local area. If you do not eat at hotels, how do you plan to eat? How do you take enough protein? Bringing soy meat cans?

by Dosanko (guest) rate this post as useful

Itinerary 2009/3/18 10:59
It can be pretty difficult to find vegetarian restaurants in Japan, but if you stop by the supermarket you can get some things to prepare yourself.

I would recommend you cut the northern part of your tour, Rebun and Rishiri, but not Shiretoko. Shiretoko is unmissable!
by Cikap rate this post as useful

reply to this thread