Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Things to do in Kobe 2009/3/5 10:03
could someone tell me what there is to do in kobe? i'd like to go there as a side trip when i'm in osaka, a whole days worth of stuff if possible.
and has anyone been to tajimaya restaurant? is it really that good?
by chuts  

... 2009/3/5 10:42
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2009/3/5 11:39
thanks for the link. does anyone have any personal experiences on which places in kobe they liked most and where they would advise me to go?
by chuts rate this post as useful

Kobe 2009/3/5 13:31
Kobe's Meriken Park by the waterfront is worth visiting. There are the Port Tower, the Maritime Museum which is shaped like a whale, and further along the shore are Mosaic and Harbour Land with lots of shopping malls and restaurants. But IMO, the most moving sight is the Port of Kobe Earthquake Memoiral Park which is just next to the Maritime Museum. It's part of the harbour front left as it was during the 1995 earthquake, a living monument of the tragic event.
And of course, no visit to Kobe is complete without a look at the Kitano-cho district, the foreign residental area on the hillside which has become a symbol of the city.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Kobe 2009/3/5 16:03
Going up the cable car to Mount Rokko is another should do. I also love walking along the covered pedestrian streets. There are 2 in downtown Kobe. The first one is close to Sannomiya station, on Flower road I think, just opposite the Sogo store. The other one--Motomachi-- is much longer .and it a few block west of that first one. ask the tourist office in Sannomiya for a map. Chinatown is also interesting. I enjoy taking both the Rokko liner and the Portliner and visit these 2 artificial islands.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

kobe 2009/3/5 17:19
ikea
by dotcom (guest) rate this post as useful

Sake! 2009/3/5 19:17
There are several sake breweries in the Nada area of Kobe - I believe that free tours are available and possibly a free tasting too.

Oddly enough I too and spending a day in Kobe as a trip out from Osaka. I've arranged for a volunteer guide from the Visit Kansai site. I'm hoping that this will make for a relaxing day without having to look at maps and offer some insight into Kobe that guidebooks can't give.
by phil (guest) rate this post as useful

The best of Japan in Kobe. 2009/3/5 19:36
As phil says, Nada district of Kobe probably the most famous Sake district of Japan.

As Monkey see says, the night view from Mt.Maya in Rokko Mountains is said to be the moust beautifull all over Japan.

More info
http://feel-kobe.jp/english/index.html
by Ts (guest) rate this post as useful

personal experiences 2009/3/6 11:59
thanks very much for the replies. i could easily look on google for some info on kobe, but i want to know from people's personal experiences which are the best places to go, which is why i'm grateful for your answers.

william, what do they have at this meriken park? are there things to do or only scenery?
earthquake memorial park sounds interesting. which station would i get off for that? and is there an entrance fee?

monkey see, how much is a ride on a cable car?

T's and phil, i don't drink so unfortunately sake breweries are out of the question for me. but i will definately try to go to kitano cho. anyone know which station to get off at for that one? cheers!
by chuts rate this post as useful

Kobe 2009/3/6 12:55
Meriken Park is the waterfront promenade where the Port Tower, the Maritime Museum, the Port of Kobe Earthquake Memorial Park, etc. are located. You can also take a harbour cruise there. There are entry fee for the Tower, Maritime Museum and of course for the cruise. But the Earthquake Memorial Park is free. It is a part of the harbour (with bent lamp-posts) damaged during the earthquake. Nearest rail station is Motomachi. From station's west exit, just walk a few blocks towards the waterfront.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Mt Rokko 2009/3/6 20:26
re Mt Rokko cable car: see http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3557.html or Google "Mt Rokko cable car" . I just couldn't remember how much, only that it wasn't much money for the pleasure the trip gives.

what's there to do in Kobe 2009/3/7 02:04
Don't forget, Kobe has great foods, also well known for their pastries.. learned food item from the foreign settlement years ago.
May even want to try out Arima Hot Springs for soaking in the natural spring water.
View the ocean, take tour to other islands, it's beautiful and the air quality is much better there in Kobe than surrounding cities.
by cc (guest) rate this post as useful

Have lived in Kobe more than 15 years 2009/3/9 03:58
Great place to live and for all my guests from overseas to use as a base, but not a place you really need to visit for a one day trip. All my visiors have raved about their one day trip to Himeji. Why don't you spend the morning in Himeji, then the afternoon at Kobe's earthquake museum and in the evening (when Kobe looks the best) walk from Kobe station around the harbour and back to Motomachi station.
Himeji Castle - a 15-min walk straight north of Himeji Station
This really deserves being a World Cultural Heritage Site. Is virtually undamaged since its completion in 1618. I can not understand why most people go to Osaka castle which is a concrete reproduction (including elevators) of the original, the interior does not resemble a Japanese castle at all and most explanations are in Japanese only. Himeji castle has done a fine job of placing English explanations throughout the castle grounds and there are often free English guides if you ask at the office.

Koko-en is a wonderful garden, occupying land where samurai mansions once stood at the base of Himeji Castle, about a 5-minute walk away. Composed of 9 different small gardens, each one typical of those in the Edo Period and enclosed by traditional walls, with lots of rest areas. Relax at the Souju-an teahouse (500 for tea & a sweet) or dine at a restaurant overlooking a koi carp pond. You can stroll through all the gardens in about 45 minutes but you will need longer to take rests to soak in the wonderful views. In any case, I wouldn't miss this special place.

A combination ticket, allowing discounted admission to both the castle and Koko-en is available at either entrance.

Kobe
The Kitano-cho district, with historical Western residences, is popular with Japanese tourists wanting to enjoy the feeling of foreign travel without leaving Japan. The 1st time I visited Japan, my Japanese hosts took me there and paid for me to enter one of the houses, which was amusing as it was like paying money to enter my grandma's home. For Kobe residents it is a nice area for a stroll in the evening when most tourists have gone.
Melbourne is a much better place for European buildings and atmosphere.

Nankinmachi, Kobe's Chinatown, is not on par with Chinatowns elsewhere in the world (Sydney's is far better) and only worth going for a short stroll through after dusk on the way back to Motomachi station after having a walk from JR Kobe station in the Harborland area then around Merikan park. The Maritime Museum has very few explanations in English and only worth visiting if you are really into ship models. The quake Memorial Park nearby is a tiny part of the pier with a few information panels. If you really want to experience Kobe's tragic 1995 earthquake go to the Disaster Reduction and Human Renovation Institution museum which covers the topic with graphic films, thought-provoking dioramas, and displays outlining the city's recovery and subsequent earthquake-prevention measures. www.dri.ne.jp/english/index.html
by Kayly rate this post as useful

Cable car confusion 2009/6/19 20:31
The information above is very useful, however I am a little confused about the cable cars. I have read about the 'Mt Rokko' cable car being accessed from behind Shin Kobe station. Is this a diiferent cable car to the one described in the links above?
If so, is there any difference in the view from these- is one better to visit than the other?
by Leegs (guest) rate this post as useful

Kobe 2009/6/20 02:00
The cable car by Shin-Kobe only go to a garden (Nanubiki gardens). A nice garden to be sure, and with good views of the city, but the view from the actual Mt Rokko (ANOTHER cable car) is higher and better.
I like Kobe very much myself and find that there is a lot to see...including a beautiful giant Buddha and also lots of shopping arcades, but to each his own I guess..

Thanks 2009/6/20 08:39
Thankyou that definitely clears that up for me. I have read other people saying not to bother with Kobe, but I am still going to go as a daytrip and see for myself!
by Leegs (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread