Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How much can one expect to pay for food? 2009/3/11 00:17
Hi. I am just wondering how much is food in Japan? I will most likely cook myself, I will try to make Japanese Dishes.
by Zimpe (guest)  

Way too general 2009/3/11 08:32
How much is food?? Can you be a bit more specific? What items are you interested in prices of?
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

In terms of groceries 2009/3/12 12:04
Most items are slightly more expensive than their US and Canadian counterparts, especially in rural areas and islands where importation/transportation figures into the cost.

Especially fresh fruit, dairy, meat and frozen foods will be much more expensive than you are likely used to. The same can be said of boxed cereals, instant coffees, oils, dressings and sauces.

The exception to fresh produce being local in-season fruits. If you are in an area that grows citrus, during the citrus season, you can get citrus fruits at a very good price, etc.

Bananas are also fairly cheap.

Vegetables, more common fish, and pre-prepared foods are generally cheaper than can be expected abroad, basic condiments and cooking staples are fairly standard, rice and bread products are on the cheap side.

Super-market prepared foods and fresh-baked breads are very reasonable and can cost less than preparing the meal yourself, especially if you are single.

A large selection of cheaper instant products are available at the 100 yen shop or at a discount at local drug stores.

It is important to note that many grocery stores mark up prices to account for a liberal point system. 90% of super markets offer their regular shoppers point cards. When a certain amount of points accumulate, large discounts or gift certificates can be redeemed that make up for the regular hike in prices.

by mia (guest) rate this post as useful

to ask also 2009/3/12 13:08
Since someone else opened this general line of enquiry, how much is fresh milk typically in Japanese supermarket, including generic house brands, if Japan has such things in its grocery market.
Powdered milk/skim milk powder?
Does Japan even have much of a dairy industry or is much of this kind of material imported? Perhaps there is as I get the impression Japanese like ice-cream snacks and desserts.
also
Weetbix /vita brix type breakfast wheat biscuits.
Quick oats (porridge oats, like rolled oats but broken down into smaller pieces)
Is it true that items such as "Bento" boxes are put out very cheap to sell when store is close to end of days trade...as in, this is widespread?
by Patrick (guest) rate this post as useful

Milk 2009/3/13 07:54
Regular milk is usually around 208yen for a 2 liter carton.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

2 litres? Where? 2009/3/13 09:14
Where are you finding 2 litre cartons, Sandy? I've never seen milk in cartons bigger than 1 litre anywhere in Japan. I also think your pricing is a bit low (either than or you need to tell me where you are buying 2 litres of milk for that price!), as in supermarkets in this part of Tokyo at least milk tends to be around 150 yen per litre. At my local discount shop it is 129 yen per litre, and that is the cheapest I have ever seen it.

Sorry 2009/3/13 09:56
Sorry, I meant 1 Litre for 208yen.

I was trying make a conversion for our US friends, which would be a bit over 2 pints = 1 litre.

High end milk 2009/3/13 10:15
208 yen for a litre is expensive- you can find cheaper milk if you look around, The full fat, 3.7%+ milk seems to be around that price usually, but that stuff is not good for you if you drink it regularly. Low fat milk is cheaper.

full fat 2009/3/13 10:22
I'm talking about full fat milk at the convenience store.

Yappari takai. 2009/3/13 11:08
Yep, that is about the most expensive milk you will find.

. 2009/3/13 11:24
You can get by on about 15,000 yen per month on food if you cook your own meals. Some cheap & easy meals to make are oyakodon, curry, mabodofu, nabe, instant ramen, etc.
by Jerolm (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/16 10:59
Sorry, I meant 1 Litre for 208yen.

I was trying make a conversion for our US friends, which would be a bit over 2 pints = 1 litre.

Incidentally, milk in the US is commonly sold by the quart which is essentially the same as a liter.

how much is fresh milk typically in Japanese supermarket, including generic house brands

Most, if not all, supermarkets carry house brands. I usually pay between 105-150 yen for a liter of milk at my local supermarket. Convenience stores are generally 20-30% more expensive for everything they carry.

Powdered milk/skim milk powder?

I have not been able to find powdered milk at my local supermarket. It may be available in your area, or you can order it through the mail.

Does Japan even have much of a dairy industry or is much of this kind of material imported?

There is a huge dairy industry in Japan. Hokkaido comes to mind.

Weetbix /vita brix type breakfast wheat biscuits.
Quick oats (porridge oats, like rolled oats but broken down into smaller pieces)

The cereal selection is not very large in a typical supermarket. Foreign food stores may carry what you're looking for, but expect higher prices.

Is it true that items such as "Bento" boxes are put out very cheap to sell when store is close to end of days trade...as in, this is widespread?

Yes, many stores start discounting around 7PM. Expect 20-50% discounts depending on the item.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/16 11:25
Also, here's a few comments to Mia's post. Generally I agree with what she says except for the following points.

Especially fresh fruit, dairy, meat and frozen foods will be much more expensive than you are likely used to. The same can be said of boxed cereals, instant coffees, oils, dressings and sauces.

I disagree with this somewhat. If you are referring to foreign brands then they will likely be more expensive than at home. However, there are often equivalent domestic brands that are not significantly more expensive.

rice and bread products are on the cheap side.

On the contrary, rice is rather expensive in Japan. Expect to pay about 1000-2000 yen for 5 kg of rice. Compare this to the higher quality Japanese rice available in the US (koda farms for example http://www.kodafarms.com) costs around $18 for a 20lb bag

It is important to note that many grocery stores mark up prices to account for a liberal point system.

I do not find this to be the case at all. Prices between grocery stores seem rather uniform, and I find that the stores with better point systems in my area also have generally cheaper prices.

90% of super markets offer their regular shoppers point cards. When a certain amount of points accumulate, large discounts or gift certificates can be redeemed that make up for the regular hike in prices.

I would go as far as to say that all chain grocery stores offer point systems. However, I don't find the bonuses and discounts that great. One for example, requires you to spend 150000 yen to get a 1000 yen voucher. The better ones offer 5% discounts when shopping certain days of the week.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread