Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best ukiyo-e museums and exhibitions ? 2009/3/11 17:53
We are really into Japanese woodblock prints and would like to know which museums and exhibitions are worthwhile.

How about National Museum Tokyo?
National Museum Kyoto?
Matsumoto?
Shizuoka?

Which of them have the best collections? Any other places I have not mentioned?
by Tokaido 2007  

sorry ... 2009/3/14 23:55
for insisting ...
but there should be other users in this forum that love ukiyo-e ...
It would be really nice of you to give some recommendation.
by Tokaido 2007 rate this post as useful

Ukiyo-E 2009/3/15 02:23
I like it too....

During one of my trips to Japan, I went to Matsumoto to visit the castle and the Ukiyo-e museum. I saw the castle, but the museum was closed! I checked it out online and it looks like a good one, but if you go, be sure you make sure which days it's open! I also went to the Tokyo Edo museum. It has a nice display of wood block art and a section showing the various stages from start to finish--it was pretty cool. I think it's worth a visit, but keep in mind the museum is devoted to Edo era Tokyo history and not just wood block prints, so if your only interest is in the wood block art, you might be disappointed.
by K (guest) rate this post as useful

ota museum 2009/3/15 06:45
we have not been there yet but from what I can read in guide books the Ota Museum in Harajuku is devoted solely to ukiyo-e.
by fmj rate this post as useful

and also 2009/3/15 06:59
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+5...
Hi Tokaido 2007: I also posted a while ago...have you any ideas?

We are planning on the flea Market at Togo Shrine on April 5th, and possibly the Jimbocho area as well.

Lonely Planet also suggests there is a shop near Kodajai temple in Kyoto..would be interested to know if you have bought on your trips to Japan.

Thanks

Not Matsumoto... 2009/3/15 08:47
I just went to the Matsumoto Ukiyo-e museum. It's a let down...The prints aren't very good. They were of lower quality and most of them were off center, plus it's a trek from Matsumoto station. I would pass. Have a great time...Ukiyo-e Rocks!!!
by Matt (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/3/15 22:50
Interesting - I had thought that the museum in Matsumoto was one of the best. (O_O)

I have been to the Edo Tokyo Museum (very interesting but hardly any woodblock prints) and to the Ota Memorial Museum of Art. But the best I have seen was a temporary exhibition in Oita (near Beppu) in November, 2007: "53 Stations of the Tokaido". That was really stunning, and for our next trip I am looking for exhibitions as comprehensive as that one.
by Tokaido 2007 rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/15 23:25
I went to the Hokusai museum in Obuse, a small town in Nagano prefecture. I don't know much about ukiyo-e, nor have I been to any other collections, so I don't know how it compares... however, I enjoyed it. It may not be worth your time unless you are already in the area, since it's a little remote.
by rafracia rate this post as useful

Hokusai 2009/3/17 18:03
As Hokusai is a master then it must be amazing..will try if we are in the area. Thank you!!!

reply to this thread