Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

One big trip or many small ones? 2009/3/14 09:32
So I'm in the early stages of planning my trip to Japan for later this year, but frankly I'm overwhelmed by all the options. My original plan was to go over for about a month and see as much as I could on a 'holiday of a lifetime' type deal. But I wonder now if I'd be better off going over and doing the main places first (based on the A-Z and other people's trip reports) and plan on revisting again several more times over the next few years. I suspect that a month long trip would just take it all out of me and I'd wind up not enjoying myself very much at all, whereas 2 weeks to go from Kyoto to Tokyo via Hiroshima, etc, just to get the 'flavour' of the country would be a better way to go. That way, I can come home and start saving again for a slightly different trip based on what I liked or disliked about that one. Most people here seem to go to Japan many times and I hope to do the same. Apologies for length of post, but any advice would be welcome.
by mgal  

Japanese seasons ! 2009/3/14 22:58
It is up to you, your interests and your way of travelling, but as far as I am concerned Japan is one of the most attractive countries in the world. It is well worth more than a month long trip. Kyoto alone is said to have more than 1,000 temples and shrines; Tokyo is a large and dynamic city. It is easy to discover something new on each trip.

Our first visit to Japan was only a one-week-taster (Tokyo, Kamakura, Nikko, Hakone as a stopover on a journey from Europe to Australia).

The second visit was an autumn trip. - Kyoto in the second half of November was breathtaking: colours that you hardly can imagine, evening illuminations of temple gardens with canopies of ruby red little stars (Japanese maple leaves).

At the moment I am preparing our third trip: a cherry blossom trip. I am convinced that it will be just as impressive as the autumn trip: with cheerful Hanami partys under canopies of pink and white blossoms ...

On our travel shortlist also are:

- late spring walking tours in lush woods and valleys in the country side and on pilgrimage routes (Kumano, Yakushima, Shikoku 88 temples, Kiso Valley, Alpes) ...

- hot springs between snow-covered trees and bushes, Shirakawa-go with snow-capped thatched roof and kotatsu (heated table), red-faced monkeys in Yudanaka onsen, dancing cranes in Hokkaido, millions of plum blossoms in Kairaku-en garden ...

What I mean to say is: this country has not only innumerable wonderful temples and exciting cities. It also has beautiful seasons and the Japanese people celebrate them. As far as I am concerned, an autumn journey does not substitute a spring journey, a summer journey never substitutes a winter journey in this country. Each season has its colours, its food, its events in Japan.

Some places in this country are best at specific times of the year, while others show a different atmosphere and different attractions at different times of the year. The public transport system is simply the best in the world and takes you whereever you want in no time at all. So you can pick the very best according to season and according to mood without having to stick to a certain direction or a certain pattern.

Thanks for reading this long posting.
by Tokaido 2007 rate this post as useful

Manytrips 2009/3/15 02:31
I have been to Japan 5 times now and planning my 6th trip. I always leave there thinking I wish I had time to visit this place or that--places that I hadn't seen before or wanted to see more of. On the trips where I had lots of time and visited many places, I always felt burned out and not wanting to do anything, but relax near the end and , not really wasting my time, but not spending it seeing Japan. So, my suggestion would be to plan multiple trips. Spend some time seeing a few places each time and be able to pace yourself and really take in and enjoy each place. from there, I think it's easier to figure out what you like and what you do and don't want to see, or see more of.
by K (guest) rate this post as useful

I know how you feel 2009/3/15 05:35
I know exactly how you feel, it's a question I have every time I plan a trip!

Just as the above posters mentioned, there is so much to see in Japan, and every season brings something different and unique to the country.

No matter how long you decide to go, see the things that interest you the most and take time to enjoy these. Put a lot of time into researching the different towns and cities in Japan to find what appeals to you most. You may wish to concentrate on the main cities and attractions or you may want to shorten your visit to or even forgo one of those cities to visit several smaller towns.

In the end I always tell myself I'll be back, no matter how slim or good the chance is I actually will be. It helps me focus on what I really want to see and do, and not feel like I really missed out when I didn't get a chance to see the things I couldn't make time for.

Best wishes on your planning!!
by Elle (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2009/3/15 06:49
Thanks all for your considered replies. My best bet is, taking into account this forum, the Lonely Planet guidebook and thinternet in all is glory, I'm going to come up with a list of things I want to check out and use that to come up with an itinerary. That will then give me a plan for how long to spend out there for my ''first'' trip :).

I'll be back here once I've worked out where I'm going.
by mgal rate this post as useful

family/guide books. 2009/3/15 09:57
We do have family in Japan, (Osaka, Tokyo, and soon in Sendai), so have reason for planning many small trips, but even so after our first trip we knew we needed many many more.

Our first trip was a 1 week taster as well: Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara and Osaka. This year we are going for 2 weeks, back to all those again, and experience more and different things in each place. We are also going to Kanazawa, Himeji, Okayama and Hiroshima/Miyajima, using Osaka as a base for everything apart from Tokyo and Kanazawa. For us it is better to make day trips on the JR Pass, so we can see family at night after they have worked.

I hope we will have at least 3 or more trips back to Japan, depending on health, finances, and all the usual travel things. I wish we were younger and could spend much longer there: we have yet to go to Nikko, Kamakura, Takeyama, Tohoku region, or even change islands!!!!

I would thoroughly recommend you buy the Lonely Planet Japan guide book, as well as the individual books on Tokyo and Kyoto. Arm yourself with a highlighter, post it notes, pen and paper, then check this website and the JNTO site: by then you will have a mountain of information to help you with itinerary planning.

Also, after you have been once, the knowledge you will gain about the minutiae of day to day issues with traveling in Japan will make future planning SO much easier.

Have fun!! The planning is more than half the fun of any trip.
by fmj rate this post as useful

If you can 2009/3/15 20:26
If air fares are not an obstacle I would suggest trips of two to three weeks at first just to get the feel. I have also been five times ranging from my first at 12 days to my last at 32 days.I think that Japan is one of the easiest and most comfortable destinations on the planet.The public transport is nothing short of brilliant, hotels are comparatively cheap compared to other industrialised nations and it is just so safe.
by RodW rate this post as useful

absolutely!!!! 2009/3/15 21:20
Japan is one of the easiest and most comfortable destinations on the planet.The public transport is nothing short of brilliant, hotels are comparatively cheap compared to other industrialised nations and it is just so safe.

Never has a true word been written..agree completely. Well said RodW
by fmj rate this post as useful

Japan ... inexpensive ?? 2009/3/15 22:30
Japan ist a great travel destination, interestingm safe and comfortable - no doubt about that, but I do not have the impression that Japan is inexpensive. On the contrary. But it is worthwhile.
by Tokaido 2007 rate this post as useful

Yes inexpensive 2009/3/17 01:34
Indeed it can be considered inexpensive. Hotel rates are about the same as in my country and lower than most countries I visited in Europe, and the food is wayyy cheaper !

The one really expensive thing is transportation especially taxi.

As for one big or many small trips, it really depends on you. I myself prefer a longer trip that gives me the time to once in a while just wonder around aimlessly, to go read in the park or just try to mingle. But that's because on vacations I don't like being tied to a schedule and don't want to stress while thinking that I have to see this and that in one hour and such.

cheers !
by HugoB rate this post as useful

reply to this thread