Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

does lonelyplanet guide book help much? 2009/3/15 18:00
does lonelyplanet guide book help much?
by friedrich89  

Older ones are better 2009/3/16 10:48
Hi
I've noticed older versions
have more hotels in but guess
that is because people like me are finding there own hotels now by net etc.
Still good for maps etc and
tourist things to do and I will always have either it or another guide book in my big bag when in Japan. (been 4 times now and hoping to go again in Sep)
Kiwi
by Kiwi (guest) rate this post as useful

Yes and No 2009/3/16 11:03
I have found the Japan Lonely Planet to be useless a lot of the time. It is good how it provides historical background on a lot of places and general information on particular areas, but I have found that the information is so brief regarding directions to get to places, etc.
I know that it is a guide and so can only hold limited info, but there seems to be so many places missing that I used it about 2 or 3 times and that is it.
In saying that, if you are coming to Japan for the first time, I would invest in a guidebook. As to which one, well, there are so many out there so have a look and see which you find the best.
by Smoke (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/16 11:30
Yes, it is very helpful. I think it is the best English guide book on Japan available. Lots of practical details that most other books do not go into. One of the broadest coverage of all guide books on Japan.

However, the lack of ratings can make it difficult for newcomers to distinguish between must-see and nice-to-see places.

Furthermore, the authors write annoyingly opinionated in some occasions.

But overall still the best English travel guide book available on Japan, in my opinion.
by Uji rate this post as useful

LPs and travel guides 2009/3/16 11:37
you can often peruse many of the top brands backpacker guides often at your local library, Lets Go, Fodor's, Rough Guide, (mostly American?) and the Australian LPs are often in Australian libraries...which is better, Im not sure, Ive seen some criticism of such books as the LP "Cycling Vietnam and Cambodia " book which although commands a high price s/h on Amazon is said by some to be almost fg useless anyway...LPs get far higher prices on Australian ebay than the others but Im not sure if thats a reflection of their merit necessarily.
Maybe see what the library has and base a purchase on which style grabs you best.
Maybe buddy up with a friendly and Im sure reasonably economical Japanese actual human guide?
by Patrick (guest) rate this post as useful

sure is 2009/3/16 11:46
I found it invaluable for research, and then bought the smaller individual LP books for Tokyo and Kyoto, as they are more detailed and easier to carry.
BUT I have recently bought "New Japan Solo" 4th edition: actually put out by JNTO, has very good directions, and ratings, and thin paper pages so lighter..recommend it. No colour pics though.
by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread