Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Portland to Narita to Kansai-questions 2009/3/17 08:46
We are flying from Portland, Oregon to Osaka (Kansai) with a change of planes in Tokyo (Narita).

Both portions of the flight are operated by Northwest Airlines.

Where do we go through customs -- at Narita or at Kansai airport?

When we change planes, will we have to go to a different terminal at Narita? We have about 95 minutes between flights in Narita. Will this be enough time to do whatever we have to do between planes?

We do not speak or read Japanese. Will we have any difficulty finding our way around the airport?

Our son will be our guide once we get to Osaka, but we will be on our own at Narita.

Any advice will be welcome.

Thank you.

by tartanwood  

... 2009/3/17 12:05
It's probable for you to go through the customs and immigration at Kansai Airport but not 100% sure.

Will we have any difficulty finding our way around the airport?
Not at all. Just check out the map of the airport and decide the meeting point with your son in advance.
by Ts (guest) rate this post as useful

language 2009/3/17 15:02
there are English signs all over the place, especially in the airport. Did you check the section A-Z at the very top? especially the subsection on transportation etc.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/3/17 22:03
You will go through customs at Narita. Getting to your next plane is no problem, you have enough (barring major problems) time. Many people there speak English. Relax and enjoy your trip.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/18 08:19
Both portions of the flight are operated by Northwest Airlines.

Then, I assume you must refer to flights NW5 (arrives Narita at 16:55) and NW27 (departs Narita at 18:15)

Where do we go through customs -- at Narita or at Kansai airport?

Despite actually being a domestic flight, NW27 is considered an international flight. Therefore, I believe that you will go through customs at Kansai Airport.

When we change planes, will we have to go to a different terminal at Narita?

No.

We have about 95 minutes between flights in Narita. Will this be enough time to do whatever we have to do between planes?

Yes. I think you will only have to walk from one to the other gate within the same terminal (Terminal 1 - North wing).

We do not speak or read Japanese. Will we have any difficulty finding our way around the airport?

No.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Hoping customs will be in Kansai 2009/3/18 16:08
Thank you for the information. I really hope we can do customs in Kansai so that we won't feel so much pressure in Narita. Someone else told me, however, that we have to go through customs in the first place we land in the country,

I guess we will just have to wait and see and hope the connection goes smoothly.
by tartanwood rate this post as useful

reply to this thread